Abalone / Mother of Pearl Inlay

My wife wanted to make a wooden pendant with mother of pearl inlay. It took some experimenting to get the settings, but I figured I’d share them with you all in case you wanted to do the same :slight_smile:

Here’s the pendant:

The wood is proofgrade maple ply with silver paint. The mother of pearl we got off amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074YJ1Z2M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

We used a cut of 200 speed at 40 power. The thickness was .018".

The pearl has a light protective coating on top and comes with a black double-sided tape backing. These settings didn’t cut through the back side of the plastic attached to the tape, but we had no trouble removing the pieces regardless. We added a dab of glue to the engraved portions of the wood before laying the MOP in. Later we plan to coat it with a little epoxy. Overall, we’re very pleased with how it turned out.

Happy trails!

82 Likes

Wow…lovely! thank you .

2 Likes

Beautiful!! Thanks for the settings too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the settings! This came out great.

1 Like

A very important piece of knowledge you’ve just given me for free.
Thank you very much.
John

5 Likes

Very nice! I’m thinking @rpegg did some of that on a banjo back in pre-release days but I don’t remember seeing a photo.

3 Likes

Couldn’t get my material to cut cleanly. It was thicker and the pre-release units didn’t have good power control at that time.

3 Likes

A beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing your settings!

Nice work, I always admire inlay work. Beautiful.

Very cool, I have several shells just waiting to be used from my old jewelry days, and you have helped save the loss due to experimenting.

1 Like

Gorgeous! I’m assuming a bee…

1 Like

Indeed. We’re making a “Mother’s Necklace” with a pendant for each of our kiddos. We’ve got four girls and a boy, so it’s going to have 4 flowers and 1 bee :wink:

Perhaps a Honeycomb to hold all the pendants!

4 Likes

Very nice! Thanks for the settings!

1 Like

I don’t see a banana for scale… what size is this? (Came out beautifully btw !!!)

1 Like

Looks like a wonderful gift.

1 Like

Wow that looks awesome! Thank you for the link and the settings. Saw this the other night and immediately went to amazon, My order should be here tomorrow! :slight_smile: Thanks again!!

1 Like

I would suggest going to Alibaba for it. $1-$8 a sheet vs $33 on amazon.

3 Likes

Thank you! I wouldn’t have thought to look there. What a great savings!

1 Like