About the filter

Sorry wasn’t clear . I would still vent out side it would be to cut the noise way way down and the visual smoke and the smell… To avoid a 50$ per day condo fine

ah cheers, totally fine to do that then :smiley:

you may find this useful if you haven’t already seen it

3 Likes

The filter combines a HEPA particulate filter with activated carbon.

It’s in the software todo hopper.

2 Likes

Sadly, I don’t think it’s a software issue. There has to be special circuitry to avoid damage.

1 Like

Unless the existing hardware allows for software that can detect incoming current from the fan and disconnect it from the circuit… ie: the same switching that turns the fan on can also turn it off.

1 Like

correct you could use a bunch of different hardware methods to handle this but software wont fix it

something like a diode so its uni direction current or a trip and dump sensor if there is over volting… and this is what will happen with any booster fan on exhaust even for the people with extended runs that need to add a booster never mind diy filters etc…

@dan CFM that GF peaks at ?

2 Likes

Yes, this is my understanding. Back EMF suppression diodes are needed.

1 Like

I would assume that they have a speed sensor on the fan since it adjusts speeds for the job and for cooling purposes. So easy enough to regulate I would think

@dan posted this:

Thanks for that 200 cfm is easy to accomplish also easy to over drive. The canfilters I was looking at have a min eating of 210. They are the filters used in auto body shop and paint houses etcs.

what about this one? @karaelena @mpipes
Bofa AD Access

2 Likes

i’m sure it’s suitable, but i have no experience with it so please don’t take my opinion as a recommendation.

having said that if you did order a filter from glowforge i’d honestly stick with that because you’re pretty unlikely to find anything cheaper, even accounting for international shipping.

2 Likes

Thanks for your opinion @jrnelson !!!
The filter looks pretty well, I have doubt with the airflow/preassure I dont know if it is ok or is too much/very little.
In terms of price Im looking different shops and I think that I can buy it cheaper than the glowforge filter (Due to shipping and duties). I have purchased the basic+filter but Im looking to upgrade to pro without filter (the ideal would be to purchase pro+filter but my economy will not let me). This is the reason that Im looking for alternatives.

1 Like

ahh i understand, and i sympathize as a fellow international buyer! i’m sure you’ll be able to figure a solution out; is venting to the outside simply not possible?

1 Like

Thanks!!!
Venting to the outside simply is not an option becouse we have the office in a block of flats, we are renting and we can not install any kind of hole or chimney and in addition in my opinion ethically, it does not seem right to contaminate, the environment with laser smoke.

2 Likes

Indeed, and there is. Wiring it up so that we have the proper thresholds for ignore, alert, and abort, and all the requisite dancing of the machines that follows, is a software issues.

Just for clarity - I’m talking about erroring the system when the fans are out of spec. You may be talking about preventing them from damaging themselves by being overdriven and acting as generators; I don’t know what, if any, circuit protection may exist for that.

2 Likes

i think this is probably a medium important question to know, just so people who might require boosters can calculate safe loads (it makes me glad i only have to vent about 22 inches).

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. Several of us are asking for that info.

2 Likes

yes that