Accessorizing Your Glowforge (Like the Fashion Industry)

Around here only Woodworkers carries it. The hardware & big box stores carry birch plywood but not Baltic Birch.

You want B/BB rated ply. That’s very consistent and should not have glue, voids or other issues with it’s construction that will impact lasering.

3 Likes

They call it Baltic Birch, but it looks nothing like the stuff I got from Amazon. (And I’m too new to this to be able to judge it yet.)

3 Likes

I can’t speak as to TX but what the home stores sell around here is NOT the baltic birch I get from specialty sellers.

2 Likes

Well, I’m planning to use up the supply of it that I got on prototyping and for making jigs for other stuff. (Then I’ll need to find another source. Hoping we eventually get some 1/4" PG.)

2 Likes

I don’t see how you can complain when plywood is warped. That is just the nature of it. It might be flat when dispatched but at a different humidity level it will be warped because of the differential expansion of layers with different grain orientations. I hate the stuff.

3 Likes

Gee, the 3 shipments I got were all slab flat. That picture of the warped stack shocked me. Like @rpegg I store them stacked with a weight on top. The only issue I have occasionally had is the masking would bubble just slightly in a couple of spots. I just roll it back down.
I’m pretty sure that is a result of humidity differential between Seattle and the high plains of Colorado. That’s from one extreme to another.
I would speculate that that shipment was subjected to unusual conditions in transit, but just a guess based on my limited experience with :proofgrade:

5 Likes

Yeah, I definitely didn’t expect perfection, plywood is plywood, but that was worse than I expected. I think I’ll stick to hardwoods or only buying what I can see first. Or acrylic.

1 Like

Remember that you’ll want to use plywood if you’re going to do living hinges. Solids don’t work nearly as well (if at all) due to the uni-directional grain (tends to split).

8 Likes

Good point, also if you don’t want wood grain to distract from your engrave.

3 Likes