Acrylic aliens

Finally started playing around with acrylic! I love it! Not so much the smell… haha!

46 Likes

That fluorescent really does glow!
Great choice for aliens :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use mainly acrylic and got a room air purifier. It sits next to my GF and I run it on high for several hours after cutting and the odor is pretty much gone. It also reduces the odor after cutting. If you get odor during the cut, look at your venting system for blockages or leaks.

2 Likes

thanks! its not bad. but i just found the burned wood smell kind of enjoyable.:grin:

I’m not sure what I dislike more, the smell of acrylic or the smell of leather lol. These look awesome though, very well done

1 Like

Great look! Makes me want to get a blacklight (again) !

2 Likes

I have yet to start working with leather even though I have a couple pieces I’ve been touring around in my head with the idea of making some keychains! That will be my next venture getting into leather!

2 Likes

Very cute!

2 Likes

Getting ready for the Area 51 run? :alien:

2 Likes

The “Steal Your Face” aliens are… awesome!

Totally stealing that idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Leather smells a bit like burning hair. Overall, I think the acrylic is worse, though.

2 Likes

As much as I hate the smell of burning hair and skin, I may have to agree that acrylic is worst, especially if you are doing a lot of engraving/cutting. I’ve started doing what someone else mentioned somewhere about leaving a piece of wood in the laser and having it engrave a small section of the wood After the acrylic is finished. It does help

3 Likes

I haven’t got brave enough to try acrylic yet. Mostly I am sticking to wood. These are delightful! So fun. I love them.

It is a nice change of pace! Comes out looking so clean! Give it a try!

1 Like

Perhaps it’s time to screw my courage to the sticking point! Just have to come up with something fun to make.

1 Like

Honestly acrylic is really easy - whether PG or not, and the acrylic cement literally melts the pieces back together so if you snap something just glue it back together :slight_smile:

My first acrylic was the snap and store box from the dashboard (free design) and while I broke two legs putting it together (it was designed for wood) it still works and it looks so cool!

1 Like