Acrylic "Challenge Coins"

I may have mentioned that I was making “challenge coins” for some of the kids working at Oga’s cantina down at Galaxy’s Edge. I got the final design and started cranking them out in 1/8" fluorescent acrylic… (Managed to fit 67 to a sheet!)

Under blue LEDs (not even “real” black light:)

Got the first 4 sheets done, final color (yellow) tomorrow.

Hard part is going to be peeling them, but that’s not MY problem…

28 Likes

I was thinking about making "Give a F " coins like this what size did you make the tokens and did you do both sides?

4 Likes

Since they’re transparent, I only did one side (reverse engraved on the back) and since I have a few challenge coins from my time in The Marines and they are all inch and three-quarters, that’s what I went with as well.

11 Likes

They’re gonna love them! Great job!

5 Likes

these look fantastic, great job, I wanna make some now, LOL

4 Likes

Looks great

3 Likes

Awesome! :slight_smile:
I’ve made a few myself, for my son and my grandkids. I used the same size and process.

5 Likes

That’s a lot of coins! I’m sure they’ll appreciate them.

2 Likes

They sent me 25 sheets - that’s 1,650 coins…

THAT’s a lot of coins…

4 Likes

So how does one package 330 coins (the first set of all five colors) for shipping?

Take some inch-and-a half painters tape and a stack of 11 coins and set them on a flat surface…

The surface aligns the bottoms, and the nature of tape on a roll automatically aligns the edges…

Now you just need to package 30 well-protected items!

(By the way, I finished the fifth color:)

14 Likes

Super cool!

Cool. And they could double as poker chips. Really nice.

These look great! That’s a lot of engraving!

Just as a test I figured I’d run a sheet without the protective paper on the “cut” side, since weeding is a pain.

Not only do all of the edges seem less crisp, and there’s SO much acrylic dust EVERYWHERE!

2 Likes

Weed the finished pieces by using something sticky like Gorilla tape, or my favorite, 3M Extra Sticky lint rollers, as a removal tool.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. That’s what I DO, but was figuring NOT having to weed 1,400 coins would be even easier…

(That being said, the kids I’m sending them to have already stocked up on gorilla tape…)

(BTW, Yoyo - Laugh while you CAN, monkey boy…)

5 Likes

They turned out great. And that’s a great tip about wrapping the tape around them. Not that I think I’ll ever need it, but you never know!

1 Like

And here we are - Almost 2 months later. After 25 sheets of acrylic (5 sheets of each color) yielding 67 “coins” per sheet, today I packed the final 660 for shipment down to Florida. Summer heat and “cooling” delays were NOT part of my original plan, but little Friggin’ held on and cranked out a whopping 1,675 (not counting prototypes and test prints, “wooden nickels” and the odd side-project) challenge coins.
Now to figure out a use for 25 sheets of holes…

8 Likes

Maybe a CONNECT BILLIONS?

4 Likes