Acrylic Fan Blades

Ok, now I’m thinking about that - thanks. JK :rofl:

1 Like

Well, I feel better knowing I’m not the only one thinking about it now, :rofl: :rofl: jk

2 Likes

It’s been a while but Mythbusters had an episode on this, the blades are never moving fast enough or with enough force to give you more than a really bad headache.

4 Likes

Lol, I know it’s irrational, but watching it in a horror show was still terrifying. Remember when the blades were metal? Those were scary. Even floor fans with metal blades freak me out. I remember constantly having to drag my littlest brother away from the fan because he liked to put his fingers through the guard and use the fan to stand up. Those metal fan blades and his tiny fingers used to give me nightmares (of course, this all was after I watched that show with my father, so I was wary of all fans). :rofl: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I found it. It was Tales from the Crypt. :sob: :scream: No matter how old I am, horror is just not my genre. I was going to link it, but for some reason the link went to user reviews, and I didn’t want that. Anyways, I need to move on…I feel like just thinking about it will give me nightmares tonight. :rofl:

4 Likes

Do you happen to know if they were cast or extruded blades ---- and would it make a difference?

3 Likes

I could be wrong but I think that’s the inspiration for the Myth and why Mythbusters took it on :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That would make sense…that show…ugh…I hate it.

I had not thought about those ugly fan blades above my head!! Was the original fan blade 1/4" thick? I’m eyeing the one above my head at the moment…it’s only saving grace is that I am too short to reach them even with the step stool. Something tells me the guys in the house are going to nix the idea… but I’m thinking wood…the fan is in like a walnut look and all the trim in the room is an oak … maybe I can use that as a reason…heh

4 Likes

This was 20 years ago,

The acrylic I used was some my hubby had from a project - aka free. :slightly_smiling_face: It is branded Plexiglas MC. It reads .20 on digital caliper where as the original wood blade reads .19.
It doesn’t say if it’s extruded or cast on the masking, but when I pull info online it says it may be extruded. I have read the differences between cast and extruded and sounds like extruded may give blurred edges when lasered - whereas this definitely did not so I’m not sure if there are different grades or methods of production. If they fail over time I’ll just replace. They cut real easy and I have plenty more available!

3 Likes

Yours must be cast. Extruded doesn’t engrave like that.

5 Likes

Oh and I used PG settings for thick acrylic. Seemed to work well.

2 Likes

And for the first time possibly ever…this caught my eye and I thought “I’m old.” But not in a funny or ironic sort of way.

2 Likes

Which show, tales from the crypt, or myth busters?

2 Likes

As long as the mounting holes are symmetric, can’t you just flip the blades over if you notice some sagging over time?

4 Likes

Tales from the Crypt. I never really watched Myth Busters…the only one I remember watching was the myth about taking a shower in a storm and getting electricuted by lightning…and the grand take away from that was that myth was true…I don’t know if it is my imagination adding things to memory, but I remember flames coming out of a showerhead… :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Here’s the finished project. Well, maybe not finished. Now I think I need to paint the base and update the chain pulls. :thinking:image

13 Likes

Wow, that looks amazing!

Definitely let us know how it wears over time!

(I really want to try this and make some custom blades for our fans…)

2 Likes

Looks good. As an older lazy person I’m not so interested in cleaning the ceiling fans until the dust is noticeable from below. Clear acrylic is a bold move. Thinking that acrylic flying through the air will create a charge and attract dust like a magnet. Let us know.

7 Likes