Acrylic Fan Blades

Your fan blades look great, and they don’t appear to sag either. That would be my worry .

2 Likes

We’ll do! Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Hoping to spin them fast enough it won’t be an issue. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve been eyeing the boring fan blades in the tech room … need something nerdy to put on the blades…hmmmmm I hate that I am only almost 5’6" because I can’t reach the fan and would have to pull out a ladder which is in hubby’s car (for work so that ain’t happening and I’m afraid of heights) … so this won’t get done unless I include him on the project… wonder how long it would take my son (that owns the house & lives here) to notice I modded something??

2 Likes

Just think of them as Swiffers for the air. :wink:

3 Likes

That was my concern. Turns out it’s no worse than “wood”, which aren’t really wood anyway.

You just see it if it’s not running.

5 Likes

What a great idea

1 Like

What would be really cool is if you could figure out a way to back light the blades with multi color LED lights. That would look so cool spinning in different colors

2 Likes

If you really want to be clever you can use the LEDs to create a raster, & then display graphics & messages. Here’s an example of a smaller version on a USB fan:

9 Likes

I don’t think ceiling fan blades can go that fast! Every pixel needs to update around 25 times per second - that’s 22000 fpm for a 56" diameter fan,…

5 Likes

The side of me interested in the physical limits of materials would really like to watch someone attempt that :joy:

4 Likes

One square foot of 1/4" acrylic is close to 1.5 lbs. Let’s be generous and say there’s only 1/2 sq’ in each blade, at 22000 fpm (240 mph) tip speed, that’s 1343 lbf on each blade.

Would be fun to watch. Like those slow mo guys videos of CD’s exploding…

6 Likes

Especially with mirrored acrylic. Instant disco lights :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

That’s true. They don’t spin fast enough for that. But it’d be cool if they could without unhinging from the ceiling lol :roll_eyes::astonished:

2 Likes

At least you’ll be able to see the dust and clean them before anyone else notices lol

3 Likes

My favorite part of this episode is when they tried to make the fan-blades-of-death and even then couldn’t get much more than a wound

3 Likes

Tell that to the lamps, drywall, your mothers handed- down memorabilia or your precious Yorkie when the blades unhinge and fly across the room! :joy: :laughing::joy:

2 Likes

it would be quite breezy in the room if so! so much for the room being really warm
LOL