Acrylic Keychains and Bag Tags Oh My

I have been on an acrylic kick lately. Here is a batch of new things I have been working on. The school bus will have initials in the circle on one side and student contact info on the other and will be a backpack tag. The rest are keychains.

The printed ones are on either white or clear acrylic.

I have so many ideas for acrylic now! I can’t wait to make some more.

Printed Clear Acrylic

Engraved clear acrylic with LED keychain attachment.

Printed white acrylic

38 Likes

These are cool. I am very curious about your printing process.

13 Likes

Super cool, especially the LED side lighted ones.

12 Likes

Terrific and a great variety of techniques, will you share how you colored the designs on them? Are the ones printed on clear acrylic painted or is that sublimation, a water decal? Would love to hear more about your process. Thanks for sharing.

10 Likes

Those look fabulous! I agree with the others, am curious as to how you did the prints/colors.

8 Likes

Those are super!

8 Likes

love the tarot card!

6 Likes

These are awesome. The details are amazing

6 Likes

Yep, I want to know the color printing process.

5 Likes

The printed ones are cast acrylic printed with sublimation printing. I printed them with my heat press at 399 degrees for 60 seconds with medium pressure. Once out, set something heavy on them while they cool to help avoid warping. Then you have to peel the paper off and clean it residue with water. The clear ones I added a layer of UV resin to the printed side to make the color pop more.

11 Likes

See my process below. Sublimation printing.

2 Likes

I posted my process below.

2 Likes

Just posted the process below.

2 Likes

It’s sublimation on plain old acrylic? Cool. I had read really mixed reports about how well that worked.

3 Likes

Yes. I saw somewhere to use cast acrylic which is what I have, so I am not sure if the process works on other types. When it comes off the heat press, the paper is literally fused to the acrylic so it looks like it is a total failure, but it’s not. It just needs soaked in water and be scrubbed clean. It is a slimy mess when cleaning, but I knew to expect it cause the same thing happens when I sublimate onto wood. With wood the colors are dulled a lot until you add another layer of finish. The colors are really good on these and don’t necessarily need a coating on them.

6 Likes

Fascinating, thank you for the extra info. I am just now buying my dye sub gear so I’m curious about all these new techniques.

5 Likes

Nice! Live that bus and the printing is very interesting! Sublimation is a great GF partner!

4 Likes

Those are some great sublimation results. I sublimate onto acrylic a lot and have tried different processes.

This first image is sublimated on the top of white acrylic.

This next one is printed on the back of clear then painted with white Rustoleum spray.

This one was first engraved on the back and then sublimated on the back over the engrave.

The last one, the flag was sublimated on the back, the text was engraved on the front (masked) then spray painted white on back, spray panted black on text and masking removed.

17 Likes

These all look amazing!

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing your process. These are great!

6 Likes