Acrylic Nameplates .040 bought from Amazon

someone said that ABS can melt

the thickness is .040

ABS doesn’t really laser well, I would
suspect this material was meant for engraving machines that use a physical tip/spindle.

4 Likes

thanks. What is the site for glowfofge material Acrylic

1 Like

You can buy acrylic from Glowforge if you click the “shop” tab above. You can also get acrylic from lots of other places. You are looking for cast acrylic and for name plates I suggest you look at the selection from Johnson Plastics Plus https://www.jpplus.com/engraving/sheet/laser/plastic

4 Likes

I can do you one better – Check out #1a:

3 Likes

Also ABS is laserable - so you might give it a shot - but the edges get melty so you may not like what it looks like.

The best bet for finding settings (as you’ll see if you click through on @evansd2 link he posted above) is to search in the Beyond the Manual section in the forum for the name + settings. You’ll need to read down into the threads to find answers - mostly the first post is people asking questions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are you only looking at acrylic? Or are other materials options as well?

I tried the Johnson Material and it didnt turn out good so im just going to have a Trophy shop make some and then im going to try and do some testing later on. I need to get made these made by friday. Im going to try a thicker 2 Color Material. Maybe some 1/8 inch.

1 Like

Thank you for your help i appreciate everyones help.

So why do your Dogs think your Crazy. Lol

1 Like

Well I have described myself as crazy for a while (but that is its own story). The backstory for why I say my dogs think I am crazy goes back to the start of the pandemic. I am an avid sewist and like most sewists I joined in to help make masks for those in need. I am really organized and process focused and so I basically had an assembly line stretching threw my house. The mind is not meant to do something as repetitive at making so many masks and so when my friends asked how I was holding up with the sewing I would always say that its at the point where my dogs (who them self are crazy) are probably thinking I am crazy. I don’t regret helping out at all and think front line responders had it worse. Memes like this were ones that were “its funny because its true”:

2 Likes

All my crafting friends took up gardening… one of them has turned her entire house into a plant jungle and had built a greenhouse in her back yard because she had no more room in her house for more plants.

1 Like

Lol! It’s funny to hear the things people ended up really getting into because of the pandemic. Gardening is a smart one.

So where are you Located My Dogs Think Im Crazy. Im in Southern

I sent her this about 4 months ago. I didn’t realize how true it would be. She even started an Instagram page just for her plants.

6 Likes

It’s Poison Ivy’s origin story! :smiley:

3 Likes

I guess Poison Ivy would be considered quite normal right now. She was just living in the wrong time.

3 Likes

I am east coat :slight_smile: There certainly are a lot of glowforgers scattered about.

Ahhh! What is the IG page for her plants!?!?!? I love that people make a page for plants. Plants often look picturesque and so it would be greatness. My husband tried to get into composting and I think we may have invented some soil creatures that would have not existed otherwise. Basically, it was a fail and you can not solve composting problems with sprinkles (apparently).

1 Like