Acrylic paint

Hello all! What do you do to fill in laser engraved acrylic with paint?! I’m making some ornaments and I feel like there has to be an easier way. Currently, I’m hand painting with acrylic paint (multiple layers) with the masking on then peeling back the masking and scraping excess paint off with my nails.

Anyone have any better techniques that don’t involve scratching up the acrylic?!

image|375x500

1 Like

I use spray paint. It’s faster and thinner, so not much build up or residue to scrap off.

3 Likes

Do you have to do multiple coats? And it scrapes off fine??

Depends on what I’m using, and I usually keep the masking on until it’s dry. Acrylic scratches easily, but also gets cloudy if you use stuff to clean it up. For example, I use alcohol to clean everything, but it has made my acrylic cloudy a couple of times (this is clear acrylic), so I usally just use it to clean the paint off the cut edges and then remove the masking.

But it’s alot easier than working with a paintbrush. I’m a mess, I can’t paint or glue.

2 Likes

Haha I feel the same way!! Thanks for the tips!!

I do a lot of acrylic painting and I use the mask>engrave>spray paint>mask>engrave>spray paint>and on and on… method. :stuck_out_tongue: I suggest using something other the cruddy Krylon stuff and go for a good graffiti spray paint because they have a lot of pigment in them. I like Ironlak paint, but Montana Gold and several others are great too.

11 Likes

Ooooo, I love the designs and the lovely paint jobs as well.

2 Likes

I’ve seen your acrylic work and it’s always lovely! I’m wondering if you have any experience with clear acrylic engraving on the back and then painting? Every time I try, I get a good opaque look until there’s light shining from the back, then you can see every imperfection and difference in thickness. I’m using acrylic paint and brush from Apple Barrel. Could it really be not enough pigmentation?

1 Like

Aww, thank you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Yes, the below examples are also engraved on the back and then painted and you can see how opaque they are. And I could be wrong, but I believe Apple Barrel is a lower end paint and I’d assume a higher quality one would give better coverage. I don’t know if there are any specific issues with using paint with a brush though and the inconsistent coverage with a brush may also be an issue. Are you also refocusing your engraving to get a smoother result before painting?

2 Likes

Amazing work! Yes, I am doing the offset. Do you go with matte or gloss paint?

I mostly use Ironlak and “Montana Black” and they are matte. Ironlak is my regular go-to though and you can find it online and my Hobby Lobby carries it. (Not with the other spray paint though, this one is in the framing area.) They’re nice because graffiti paint is highly pigmented to cover wall etc.

1 Like