Acrylic Sapphire Light

Hi everyone!

I wanted to try making a colored acrylic light and came up with this Sapphire Light design made with Glowforge’s proofgrade transparent blue acrylic. The original design was based on the architecture of the Thai Red Cross Children’s Home building. I love the simple geometry of the overall form of the building and the design of its facade. I built on some of the design elements of the building and came up with the design of the Sapphire Light.

It’s simple to construct where the vertical panels are finger jointed into two square frames at a slight angle. The angle of the vertical panels blocks direct views of the light source and allows the light to pass through the material. I’m sure this light fixture would look amazing if it’s made out of wood or frosted acrylic and maybe even a combination of both?!

If you’re interested in learning more about this project, here’s a link to my YouTube video where I go over the process of designing and making the Sapphire Light.

Here are some photos of the Sapphire Light.

I hope this project inspires your work!
Tim

42 Likes

Beautiful! How easy is it too keep clean? (Hah, that’s a question straight out of my wife’s playbook.)

8 Likes

It’s very difficult to keep clean! But definitely worth it haha

2 Likes

Pics of the building, yes?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Thai+Red+Cross+Children’s+Home+building&tbm=isch

4 Likes

I love all of your creations!

4 Likes

Yes, that’s the one! Thanks for linking it :smile:

2 Likes

That’s a gorgeous design - of course that transparent blue is my favorite!

2 Likes

The blue color is stunning.

3 Likes

I love the color on that.

3 Likes

Very nice! I have a lot of sapphire acrylic and you have inspired me.

2 Likes

Your lights are really something else! Love this one.

2 Likes

Thank you. I can’t wait to see what you make!

2 Likes

What a beautiful light! The blue is just stunning.

2 Likes

My first reaction was “Oooooh.” My second reaction was “I wasn’t one!” Stunning!

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t expect the transparent blue to have the visual effect that it does with the transitioning tones of blue to purple. I’m glad I went with my gut feeling instead of using a translucent acrylic :smile:

2 Likes