Acrylic sculpture marker

I’ve always dislike the way my ‘signature’ looks on clay sculptures, so I decided to make a stamp to keep the signature consistant and clean. Made with 0.42 inch acrylic and extremely pleased with the results!

edz

44 Likes

Impressive!

5 Likes

Wow, that looks great. The acrylic itself didn’t look so impressive, but that impression is so clean.

3 Likes

I had the exact same thought when I made it, but I was really happy with the impression :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you engraved away to leave the initials proud of the service - in which case how come it so polished where it is engraved away.

I’m confused by the picture :slight_smile:

1 Like

First impressions are so important! :wink: Great idea.

5 Likes

Wow … Very nice impression!

3 Likes

You don’t know how hard I had to work to stop myself from making that joke in the post :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry, the picture is even more confusing from the cut side.

I signed my initials with a black sharpie on white paper, took a photo and then edited the photo in photoshop to invert the colors so my initials were white and all else black. So, when I engraved, all but my initials were cut away. FWIW, I did two passes on the engrave to make it deeper.

Hope this helps.

edz

2 Likes

What an awesome solution. The result is stellar!

3 Likes

Thanks! It looks like there will be a few orders coming in from others in the studio :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great idea! I’m a clay artisan too - I’ve looking a an easy way to create a “Maker’s Mark” - Just got a glowforge - I gonna try your idea. Thanks for sharing! Cindi

2 Likes

What are the settings you used?

1 Like

I am not sure if this person is still active on the forum, but we can only discuss settings in Beyond the Manual section if the material is not Proofgrade. Since this is acrylic and acrylic is fairly standard, I would guess that a good place to start would be with the settings for thick acrylic. Glowforge does not, however, have any .42" acrylic.

2 Likes

Dang! That works great!

1 Like

Do you have to invert the initials?

2 Likes

From my view, it looks like it’s a deep engrave on the clay-facing side, with the initials inverted. The engrave is a time investment, but once done it’s done.

4 Likes

This is really cool!

1 Like

Exactly!

1 Like