Acrylic Shawl Pins

I’m a spinner and knitter of wool. I’m always looking for a nice simple closure for shawls that will make the fabric texture shine.

For these closures, I made notches in the inner opening so the curved pin would have a secure space to sit in.

All except the smallest (black, top) are securing two thicknesses of knitted fabric.

38 Likes

Terrific practical cut.

10 Likes

Thanks! The best part was that I salvaging a mistake from another project, and it’s a great way to use up scrap.

9 Likes

How thick is your acrylic?

7 Likes

1/8", +/-

I’m being very careful with the heat applicaiton, don’t want a hot dripping mess on my hands.

10 Likes

These are lovely…and a very unique idea for fastenings.

9 Likes

Oh are you slumping the acrylic? As in heating and bending it?

8 Likes

Those are really cool! I’m not a scarf wearer, but might want to start after seeing these! Lovely scarf, lovely pins!

8 Likes

Those are really pretty!

7 Likes

Yes I am. Since I don’t have a form to set them into (yet), I do it by heating the piece while it’s supported by insulators, then spike it with the wooden knitting needle, and use pressure to bend the piece into an organic curve (ie, don’t burn my fingers). Some acrylic is quite compliant, other stuff is ‘good enough.’

8 Likes

Thanks! The smallest one is really too small, but it can be a stand-alone button or decoration for a loosely woven/knitted fabric. I’m using up waste I could not bear to throw away, and the waste. of the waste will become some other project.

5 Likes

Great effect with the slumping, and super creative (and pretty) project!

6 Likes

Sometimes I see a title and I can guess what the post is about… and other times I have no clue.

In any case: impressive and educational!

7 Likes

What a fun idea! I made some buttons the other day on the fly for a project. It’s so nice to be able to create little custom objects as needed.

6 Likes

Excellent work! I love the one on the top right! Beautiful!

4 Likes

How cool to get them curved, and it’s a very clever idea with the notches.

5 Likes

Nice! I love that you are curving them—it adds such an organic feel.

2 Likes

At first I did it to reduce snagging potential and then I found out their appearances improved a great deal.

It is time-consuming though. In this particular application, I have to treat it like silver. Everything has to get hot enough before I am able to move an area. But not too hot…and don’t burn yourself. Hot solid acrylic looks just like cold solid acrylic. [Or silver, or glass, or cookware…]

2 Likes

I wonder if you could find shot glasses the right size? Then you could allow it to slump over them organically rather than pushing them into place (get it a little hotter and it’ll start all on its own!)

3 Likes

Or even dowels might work. Just get the size needed for the shape wanted.

2 Likes