Adjustable mask hook

Thank you so much for the file!!!

1 Like

i did a run of 30 last night that i am bringing to my vet in an hour. i also have txt msgs in with three nurse’s i know and a email into the PPE email for baystate medical center if they want them.

how do i tell them how to clean these, so that they do not think they are single use single patient ?

if baystate does want them (massive hospital) my plan is to ask the plastics shop local as well as homedepot/lowes if they are willing to donate/ very lost cost acrylic

1 Like

Tell them to clean them like they would any other reusable item. if its made from acrylic they should be able to sanitize it. just tell them its not single use

whats the deal with isoproal alcohol, the internet says it will craze the plastic but when i used 91 and gave it a good soak it didnt crack or anything ?

i dunno

There’s been lots of discussion about alcohol damaging acrylic right in this community. It seems to depend on the type of acrylic and the type of alcohol using to clean it. E.g.:
https://community.glowforge.com/t/cleaning-acrylic-with-alcohol/53043

Cast acrylic may be less susceptible than extruded.

It’s probably a good idea to anneal the hooks to reduce stress in the acrylic, which should improve their durability.
https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=annealing%20acrylic

@Jules, you mentioned in another thread that you found 1/16" polypropylene cut well. Do you think it would be stiff enough for the mask clips in this thread, or this style?
https://community.glowforge.com/t/laser-safe-flexible-plastic/42459/25

The only polypropylene I was able to get was 14 mil sheet poly, which is about 6 times thinner than 1/16", so I can’t say for sure.

It would likely be flexible enough, but I would worry that it would twist and deform under stress, and might not be strong enough. The stuff I had would work better for the shield than the hook on the back.

So I’m sorry, I can’t say. It does cut very well though with the laser, so might be worth a try if you can find it that thick. :slightly_smiling_face:

Acrylic manufacturers definitely say not to use alcohol or acetone. I have done my own research, and what I have found is that extruded acrylic (at least the extruded that I tested) was very sensitive and cracked along the edges When treated with either. The cast that I tested was much less sensitive and didn’t show any visible cracks.

1 Like

Thanks, @Jules and @johnj.
If I can find some polypropylene I’ll try it. Will also compare acrylic to acetal copolymer (~Delrin).

1 Like

Thank you for this! Do you know if it will work w/the standard N95 Mask? I sent a picture of a S-Hook version to a Dr’s office but they said it won’t work for their mask type, the N95

I appreciate your help in advance!!

it should

Thank you

thank you!!!

Thank u Great job on Mask Hook I made some passed them out in the VA hospital Nashville, Tn. Just ordered more Acrylic last night.

1 Like

Thank you for making this! I was thinking we had to use a living hinge to make something work, but this is much better!

I had 2 sheets of Acrylic n ordered some more last night from Glowforge but do anyone know if Lowe’s or Home Depot has Acrylic I can buy now and make more now so I can help Vaderbilt also.

No, the hooks aren’t suitable for N95 masks, they are for surgical masks.

Surgical masks have a loop attached to the top and bottom of each side. These go around your ears. The hooks give somewhere else for the loops to attach.
Wearing a surgical mask

All the N95 masks I’ve seen have two longer elastic loops, one attached to each side of the mask at the top, the other to each side at the bottom. These go completely behind your head. The hooks do nothing when wearing these masks.
Wearing a N95 mask

2 Likes

Thank you! I just learned about these mask hooks today. I have catered many events for a very large medical group. I would love to make some for these facilities, just no clue what type to make for That specific mask type. Any help would be much appreciated!

The N95 masks I have/had are the same.