Adventures in 3D printing!

So recently I got into 3D printing, I e been wanting to get into it for years now but finally found an affordable model to get the job done and then some.

It has been going pretty well, although there have been some failures during the process that is to be expected. I’m finding that tweaking the settings with my glowforge has given me a better eye for tweaking the settings on the 3D cura software.

I’m still working on figuring out what some practical prints to help with crafting might be. Till next time
-Hock

28 Likes

What are the official stats on that machine like layer height etc?

6 Likes
  • 10.24 x 10.24 x 12.99 in. (260.00 x 260.00 x 330.00 mm)
  • Carborundum Glass Bed
  • Automatic Bed Leveling
  • 3.5" Color LCD Screen
  • 1.75mm PLA and PLA+, PETG, ABS
4 Likes

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Now create something with the glowforge and 3D printer!

8 Likes

I’m gonna print some leather molds and then use the Glowforge to engrave or score the leather

5 Likes

Sweet. Excited to see how that turns out.

7 Likes

Awesome! It can be very handy addition to your set of maker tools.

It’s funny, after we finished moving in and I had some space for a basement workshop, I remember saying “If I get this CNC mill, then I won’t need a laser cutter or a 3D printer.”

14 Likes

I believe I had the same thought. I also have all three four: Xcarve, Glowforge and two 3d printers (SLA and FDM).

8 Likes

It’s not a competition but Shaper Origin, Carvera, Glowforge (x2), and an FDM 3d printer. I have come to understand all too well that while there is some overlap none of them can fully replace any of the others. I hope to do a project one day that involves all of them.

11 Likes

Are the first three prints just tests or do they have a use that I don’t have a clue about?

5 Likes

They actually are the the parts of a Deck box for magic the gathering, you slide a commander into the outer slot so you can see what deck it is, the rest of the cards go inside

4 Likes

Yes, I don’t have one, but the Shaper Origin has certainly been on my “I want one list”.

6 Likes

I have come to terms with my tool acquisition syndrome.

And for everyone with 3D printers, don’t forget 'tis the season to make your 2024 novelty glasses.

19 Likes

I remember when I had hair. Enjoy it while it lasts. :grinning:

Printing lair organization right now knowing that that is a lost battle.

7 Likes

My Prusa XL arrived a couple of days ago, and my workshop is now a total disaster. Besides all the boxes and packing material and little baggies of parts and tools that had to be unpacked and sorted through and thrown into piles, I’ve had to find a way to squeeze this giant new machine into a room that is already 107% full, so it has displaced things which had to displace things which had to displace things, until at the end of the chain it’s all over the floor and I’m just staring at it today trying to come up with a plan.

10 Likes

Yeah I feel that, my 3D printer is on my leatherworking table, the table I had wanted to put it on is more or less a glorified card table and doesn’t have a thick enough layer to support the printer.

4 Likes

Ohhhh, thank you. My adult son asked for some card protectors for his Magic cards for Christmas. That is the extent of my knowledge regarding Magic cards. Reading the news, I’m sure he wishes he had saved all those Pokemon cards he had as a child. Seems they are worth quite a bit now.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.