Adventures in Acrylic

I’m a newbie, your work is stunning!

1 Like

A tip from a costumer who routinely does both plastic thermoforming and wig heat-styling: If you don’t want to sacrifice an oven to non-food-safe materials, you can put your object on a form and seal it inside a large cardboard box (lined with aluminum foil for better heat reflection, if you’re working at higher temperatures). Cut a small hole in the box and stick the nozzle of a high-powered hair dryer in through it, then turn it on and leave it running for 30-60 minutes. The box will gradually heat up to the maximum output temperature of the hair dryer, and the long cook time will allow your material to absorb the heat. Then after you turn off the hair dryer, let the box sit for the same period of time to allow the plastic to gradually cool.

Most of the heat-resistant wig fibers we use set at between 300-410 F, and this method works for roller-setting them.

(Note: DO NOT do this with a heat gun, which is much hotter than a hair dryer and will likely just set the box on fire.) :fire::fire::fire:

5 Likes

Love love love these! i wish i could engrave that good on acrylic its driving me crazy. Anyway i read a post somewhere (in my rabbithole searches) a guy said to put some wood ( a nice smelling one when burned) in the glowforge with the acrylic and do a few random last cuts on the wood clears out all the smell so he says. ive yet to try it . maybe that would help?