Adventures in greyscale and leather stamps

Hahaha, Amazing! I’m so happy you actually had the after shots. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

I made some leather stamps in Delrin. It melts very easily and takes many more passes not to have a melted mess. From looking at the acrylic, it looks like a much better choice if you are not using a hammer to stamp the leather. I am wondering if something like that could be used to stamp copper?

3 Likes

Fantastic work! Then stamps in the leather are beautiful! Some good inspiration here! Another rabbit hole!!

2 Likes

possibly, I would Imagine you would need something under the copper for it to take the stamp tho, like a mirror negative of the stamp or maybe some leather under the metal. I’m pretty sure when I got these stamps in the press they are taking close to a full hit and multiple times in some instances. enough pressure to turn the back side of the leather glossy in spots anyway.

4 Likes

Exactly! I was thinking rubber as it could be used many times, while leather would be a one off.

2 Likes

How thick of copper where you thinking?

Copper flashing is sold in weight per sq.ft. I have 16 oz and 4 oz both dead solt. I suspect the 4oz would do best. Aluminum flashing would work as well.

If you annealed it before the stamp it would do wonders as well. If I come across any ill try and run a test for you.

1 Like

That it the way it comes. When recieved it is already annealed as much as is possible. I once got some that was made for the actual roofing surface and that needed to be annealed before you could do anything with it. The best place to find it is a metal recycling as it is hard to come by and ridiculous price instead of the already high daily metal price.

1 Like

Just amazing! Well done!

2 Likes

These look great. A fun way to play with leather.

2 Likes

Really cool, nice work!!!

2 Likes

I’ve done similar embossing with just a C clamp. I case the leather then apply pressure with the clamp for about 20 minutes. The largest I’ve done so far is about an inch and a half. They came out sharp and clean.

10 Likes

Just gorgeous! That horse is amazing and I’m really liking the basket weaves.

2 Likes

Thx @cynd11, I was surprised how well they turned out :slight_smile: I just need to figure out how to make my own greyscale depth images so I can sell the things I’m making lol.
Thx @jaltschuld :slight_smile:
Thx @ptodd It really opens up some possibilities that I wasn’t aware were possible.
Thx @cordioli :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I got a glowforge to cut my leather but was still using my 3d printer for making stamps. This process of making stamps really makes me curious, is there a how to ommake stamps like these somewhere? I didn’t invest in a clicker press instead use a cheap arbor press from harbor freight

2 Likes

It’s just a reverse engrave – you engrave the parts you DON’T want stamped. I can’t recall whether there’s an actual tutorial, but searching the forum for “reverse engrave” should bring up enough information to help you figure it out, and if you get stuck, we’re always here to help. :wink:

I’ve done a little playing with the concept, despite not having any kind of press – I hammered mine. EDIT: Oops, no this time I used my Cricut Cuttlebug. But I’ve hammered them too, and it works fine.

3 Likes

You can get interesting results with 3d depth map images and even with some electron microscope images.

Here is a topic I made playing around with a few of them in wood. As @geek2nurse Mentioned you may need to use the negative of those images to get the desired results and mirrored.

With my latest ones the key was quick passes adjusting down my focal height as I went.

1 Like

Oh gosh this is perfect for me, I’ve spent way too much money buying leather stamps. I’ll try this today.

1 Like

Sounds great, excited to see how it turns out :slight_smile:

1 Like