Advice on a photo engraving

I have no problem getting my image converted to a grey scale and adjusting but when I burn it will come out perfect until I pull the protective tape off and the white areas of the photo will just smudge off. I am using standard PG Maple do I need to slow down the print or boost the power a little every image I have tired just doesn’t penetrate the white even though I have adjusted it to a decent grey.

Thanks Kyle

I tend to remove the masking if I am doing photo engraves.

5 Likes

If I do photos on masked material I change the minimum power to 5 as that will burn through the masking.

5 Likes

Just as Jamesdhatch said, increase the minimum power and your problem will be sorted! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you using the vary power or the dot matrix ? The vary power is used only where you are doing a relief sculpture and the image has to be built that way. If you are printing a snapshot type photo then the dot matrix is what you want. The dots in the matrix are all the same depth and will be dark. By making them closer or farther apart the appearance is equal to a gray scale and will penetrate the masking nicely.

In a photo often one side of a face will be in the sun and the other side in darker shade, which in vary power half the face will be high and the dark side a hole which looks weird in 3D.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help I was able to achieve what I needed by removing the masking and just using standard settings. So far everything I have done has been standard PG settings I did look at custom settings but every time I clicked on it everything appeared to be maxed out. I didn’t see a starting reference point for the settings maybe I missed it. I have less than 10 hours into this practicing on key chains. I have learned so much from everyone on the forums and truly thank all. Unfortunately life happens and haven’t given this the time it deserves yet :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this explanation- been working on a wedding photo project and testing out different settings on a small scale before doing the big engrave. I could not figure out why the vary power made it look so ‘cartoony’ and what circumstance someone would pick this setting. Somehow I’ve never caught this piece of info before. Very helpful so thanks again!

1 Like

In a circumstance like this

1 Like

Amazing! Love this!

1 Like