Affinity Designer versus Adobe Illustrator

Have you tried these with CC?

http://www.mapmaker.com/v4/Map%20maker%204.Pro.htm

i have downloaded ArcGIS, but not messed with it yet. Met them at Adobe Max back in November.

The Austrialians did an early integration of GIS with Adobe, very powerful.

I think ESRI picked up on it later, have not kept track of the ESRI-Adobe relationship which was developed after I retired 10+ years ago. GIS and Adobe products are an amazing combination if you are a cartographer or illustrator that works with maps.

If you do use it, post or message me in the future!!!

i will definitely post here after i give it a try. been a busy couple of months and havenā€™t done as much GF designing lately (other than holiday stuff).

1 Like

Forgot to give you this link too, another integration of GIS and Adobe.

What kind of work do you do with CC??

sweet. thanks. bookmarked.

graphic designer in the marketing department of an architecture firm. so a little bit of everything. from fancy proposals to trade show booths to huge vinyl installations on glass to building signage to email blasts to editing photos to taking photos (mostly head shots, we have a professional photographer on staff for most architecture stuff) toā€¦ basically whatever they ask. iā€™ve made big wall graphics for the office with our laser cutter (universal) as well as boxes for things like proposals or a champagne bottle with flutes. iā€™ve assisted with models, but not on the files side, more on the assembly and conceptual side.

thatā€™s what i love about in house. it could be pretty much anything. i live 85% of my day in InDesign, but do a lot of PS/Illustrator work too. past few weeks iā€™ve been building/implementing CC libraries of tons of elements for proposals and marketing materials for our staff of 60+ in marketing.

4 Likes

Fun job!!! Thanks!!!

If daughter is in school or has an .edu email address the entire Adobe suite is half pricešŸ˜ƒ

Preach

It is worth having around as it has some truly handy functionsā€¦ but I avoid it as much as possible.

If someone was a complete beginning I think they would adapt much easier than I did, as I have years and years of experience in Adobe-ish GUIs and almost none of it applies to Inkscape.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure they still consider it a bug. They announced their ā€œfixā€ a year or so ago when they changed the GFUI to display how they were interpreting it so you wouldnā€™t be surprised when it lasered incorrectly.

They called it a fix which suggests they no longer think anything is broken (despite the incorrect treatment of the valid SVG).

(Corel users bump into the fill rule problem as well.)

2 Likes

So which software has the best auto trace? I have somethings I want to auto trace (zero artistic drawing skills) and a good auto trace would make these things much easier.

Affinity Designer has no auto trace feature.

CorelDraw :slightly_smiling_face: There are a few of us here who use it.

AD doesnā€™t have it, Inkscapeā€™s not as good and I believe AI is about the same as CD. If itā€™s either AD or AI, you donā€™t have a choice, itā€™ll have to be AI.

1 Like

Thanks. Guess Iā€™ll see where I can get a less expensive copy of coreldraw.

FWIW, iā€™ve seen a preview of AIā€™s next gen auto trace and it looks a lot better than what it has right now. not sure when it hits.

4 Likes

There are also some standalone auto trace programs.

Vector Magic works reasonably well. (Iā€™ve only used the online version but thereā€™s also a downloadable version for Windows.)

Iā€™ve also used Super Vectorizer 2 on macOS and itā€™s ok but not great.

1 Like

Also Adobe Capture (mobile app) does a better trace job than desktop AI on some things.

Silhouette Studio has a lovely autotrace. Itā€™s just simple. You need the business edition to save SVGs but you can try the software for free and see if the autotrace works for you.

ā€œMake the Cutā€ is fairly crummy vector software for driving a vinyl cutter, but it has a surprisingly good trace feature.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.