Ahoy there!

So it has been WAY too long since I’ve posted anything! Sorry all!

So, since the world has been crazy for a while, and no traveling for my family, my wife has been dying to get back to cruising. I have to admit, so have I! After we took our first cruise back in 2019, I designed this up.

Engraved (poorly) on PG cherry veneer. This stuff is terrible for fine details… Anyway, I thinned down some black craft paint and rubbed it all over so the small details would pop, and it makes it look more worn I think. Stuck this to some thin magnetic sheet. Ready to hit the seas in September and display this on our cabin door!

34 Likes

That’s a fun idea!

I’m a bit paranoid about being stuck on a cruise ship at this point, but it looks like they’ll be requiring vaccines, so I guess that is less like to happen.

7 Likes

I am too a bit, but, we’re fully vaccinated and will still distance ourselves as much as possible

6 Likes

I would love to go cruizing but the best boat to take would be sized for just the family. Many years ago I did this but neither those floating cities nor private sloop would allow my body to survive without extreme pain moving or vibrating by wave or engine like baseball bats at many joints.

4 Likes

How fun! Enjoy your cruise! I forwarded your post to my brother-in-law who works for RC.

6 Likes

Oh wow! If they reply let me know lol

3 Likes

We’re also jonesing to cruise again…eventually! I never think to create anything, and then I get on board and see the decorated doors and regret not - maybe this will finally inspire me!

It’s beautiful :heart:

4 Likes

Lovely item for your next cruise. I was told this evening that a cruise from Galveston was departing this month, so it looks like the industry is awakening.

3 Likes

What fun! Only cruised once and thought it was…a little weird. Also thought I was moving for days after. Nice sign!

3 Likes

We didn’t have anything for our door the first time we went. We had seen videos of people making things but we couldn’t think of anything lol.

2 Likes

Didn’t know they did this. Very fun idea.

4 Likes

Having never been on a cruise, and doubt I ever will, I never knew people decorated their stateroom doors. What a lovely idea! And the fact that your name is on it makes it a sure thing that others will be jealous! I have a friend who works on a cruise line in the Hawaiian Islands, but she’s stuck in drydock in Portland for a few months. I wonder if crew decorates their doors? Might be an interesting thing to make for her.

1 Like

Do a Disney cruise. They are great, lots to do, separate areas for kids and adults, cleanest you will find. We’ve done a couple and are looking at doing a repositioning cruise.

2 Likes

Sea legs haha.

1 Like

One of these days we might be able to afford a Disney cruise lol

I was always a bit leery of the Disney cruise when it had Micky in his sorcerers apprentice outfit with a big sign saying “unexpected magic”, and I thought back to the meaning of that thought in the cartoon, and I don’t think the Disney folks had really thought that through.

2 Likes