AI experiment with 3D engrave came out impressively

I experimented with the AI artwork creator in the Glowforge app and created an image I liked. I used the 3D engrave choice on 1/2" thick 9x9" hardwood cherry (not plywood). It turned out pretty nicely. I’m glad I experimented and look forward to continued learning! Thank you Glowforge.

41 Likes

Wow, really great result. Were you using the default engrave settings for cherry?

9 Likes

Wow that turned out very nice.

11 Likes

I did use the default settings for cherry hardwood (not plywood), and I selected 3D.

12 Likes

Well welcome back! That is a lovely engraving! Well done!

7 Likes

Would you be willing to share the settings in a direct message? I’ve been looking to do a 3d engraving on the DM screen I’ve been planning out for a while now.

7 Likes

The settings I used were: 702 speed 100 power Vary 340 LPI
Parts of it engraved quite deeply – true to 3D.
Engraving on the cherry caused a blackish sticky substance (natural wood stuff mixed with laser dust). It cleaned up quite nice, and caused zero wood warping, by scrubbing the entire surface with a soft scrub brush, dawn dish soap, and water. Once completely dry I sanded ever so lightly to bring out the lighter hues of the wood. Then clear coated with semi-gloss Minwax polyurethene.

14 Likes

looks great

9 Likes

Very nice work!

Besides the precision of the laser, 3D engraving is my favorite ability of the glowforge. Additional passes keep going deeper.

Google Photos

17 Likes

Those were standard settings? I have experimented quite a bit and prefer to go with a higher dpi, full power, vary, and high enough speed to get the depth I want. Multiple passes bring out the wood grain more but that may not hurt a tight grained wood. This is one of my 3D engraves…

7 Likes

Had I taken my photo at angle, the depth would have been more visible. And yes, for cherry and 3D, the settings stated were what it pre-populated with and they worked quite well. Thank you for sharing.

8 Likes

Fantastic results.

4 Likes

I don’t see an option for 3D engrave. Is that only available for the premium package?

2 Likes

Everybody has 3D engrave, but it only shows up for raster files and only on certain materials. I believe it’s no plywood (since you’d be engraving into the middle).

4 Likes