Air assist error (RANT)

You can buy very strong “cup magnets” that have steel “cups” over the sides and down. I had some before I discovered the problem and only use those now. I tried steel “flashing” and it helps but is not good enough.

The problem is not specifically the laser but anything electrical or electronic moving very rapidly in a very strong magnetic field. If all that is six or seven inches above the magnet and the field does not reach that high then the magnet has no effect, but in a Glowforge there is a lot not two inches above the bed and thus the problem.

1 Like

The solution is quite easy. Just flip the piece over and strong pins on each side hold the middle down tightly,

That’s what I ended up doing, but it required me to cut the board width down so that I had space on the sides for more pins (it was really warped) , which then made me have to redo the design which was maximized to use every square inch of space. Plus, as the warped board began having pieces cut out of the center, they would pop up and almost hit the head of the laser (because they were warped and under pressure). needless to say, I miss being able to fit magnets in between parts in the middle.

1 Like

There is the possibility of de-warping the wood though it might take a week. I was trying for a severe warp like this…

and it could only be done in steps while wet but dry it would stay nicely. Also when cutting regular wood the cleaning of the piece would get it very wet and it would warp a lot but folded in a towel and clamped between a couple pieces of tile and wait for the towel to wick out the dampness and the warp is gone. If you just clamp the dry wood the warp will pop back as soon as the clamps are removed.

Don’t laugh. Check out the $1500 T20

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wyrmwood/dice-by-wyrmwood

Oh yes tungsten is very popular these days. A real fad. We used to purchase tungsten rod alloy to balance crankshafts. A couple inches of those weights in a 5 gallon bucket would be all you can lift.

Total nerd-out here, but I used to regularly have breakfast with the guy who created Make.

1 Like

That’s awesome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.