Air filter deliveries

Lol… I was referencing your comment about your Blue removing the kitchen odors. The Epilogs we use at our local workshop do not take care of the smell unfortunately… or maybe I just don’t know how bad it would really be without their huge filtration system.

1 Like

It may well be that the charcoal filters will need to be changed more frequently, particularly given what comes off a laser is often more smell than smoke,

Hmmm… I don’t know. They get upgraded as soon as the warranty runs out to a newer model. & I have worked on one that was only a few weeks old. The maintenance guy is also super on top of things, but maybe I’ll mention this to him.

Bought my forge in 2015, waited til 2017 for it to arrive and STILL waiting on an air filter

Product Delivery
Air Filter January 30, 2019

It’s annoying waiting for it. I imagine it will be outdated by the time it is actually released.
My date has changed SEVERAL times, I was supposed to get it in Jan, than March, than SEPT and now this CRAP. They are pimping out forges and can’t get to the filters WTF?

I’m a pro user, getting a filter, and I don’t recall seeing an email about the filter.

Well, ya see, lasers/cnc machines are simple and are stamped out on an assembly line, but air filters, well that’s another thing, scientists on the International Space Station are trying to find out how they work, and when they do . . . . .
I don’t see what the hold up is but I hope they throw in some extra activated charcoal filters for the lonnnnnnng wait.
Dan, is this a possibility? Maybe some Proof-grade maple, purpleheart wood, credit on Inventables for materials, something to make us happy? Can’t hurt to ask.
Thanks,
R.L. Hamm

1 Like

My promised delivery date has moved from Sep 10, 2018, to Nov 30, 2018, and now to Mar 31, 2019.

I’m shocked that there has been no email update, or anything, in months.

In June 2017 they said they’d have them all shipped by the end of year. What is going on? Where is the official statement from Glowforge about what’s going on?

1 Like

Won’t change your dates, but they have been updating. Latest:

1 Like

@tawood, I know you asked a rhetorical question. But with no official response from GlowForge on the topic, I’m pretty sure we all know what’s going on.

We saw this same behavior when they sold us a laser cutter. We were promised a device within 3 months after their initial campaign. As that initial delivery date grew closer we got the bad news. Then every 6 months like clockwork they had some random, impossible to predict, set back preventing them from being able to fulfill their promise.

After holding our money in escrow for over 2 years we finally received half of what we paid for.

The air filter is just another example of how this company operates. They tell us what we want to hear while they work out the kinks in their not-yet-finalized product. They mince words and attempt to redefine them like:

I see they started a new beta program called Snapmark in October. I wonder which final product makes it to its customers first: Snapmark or our already paid for air filters?

2 Likes

snapmarks? or was that also a rhetorical question?

on a lighter note. I also paid for, and impatiently waiting for, an AIRFILTER. Based on what I was told the delay to APRIL (2019 I assume), I doubt that I will see it before June. 2020.

2 Likes

good idea, considering the interest they are earning on the fully paid for airfilters.

Hi jsteggy, good question. This was taken directly from a marketing email they sent out on Oct 11 2018:

Snapmark is a new, experimental feature that provides a way to do “mini mass production”, customizing dozens of items at once, over and over again. It lets you do multimedia work, combining traditional inkjet or photo prints with laser cutting.

This is basically a new software feature that can be enabled on your existing Glowforge.

My question wasn’t rhetorical, I was really wondering which one would be released to the public. My guess is that Snapmark will be first since they’ll probably charge for it.

I seriously doubt they would be charging extra for that, but include it with all the other upgrades as they do improvements regularly if not announced.

Hopefully they won’t charge. It is being marketed as mass production tool which sounds like something that would appeal more to business users. So I’m not holding my breath.

Few folks can spend that kind of money purely on a hobby, but hobby or not there are a great many examples throughout the forum where Snapmarks are used or would benefit from using that are not “industrial” from game pieces, to stuff that just needs to be engraved on both sides or even just better use of material. I bought a stack of 3in wide material that does not leave a lot of room for error when making 3 inch wide lamps or boxes heavy with finger joints, and would very much appreciate such accuracy.

1 Like

I agree there are plenty of uses. The question is: does Glowforge see it that way too. Will they see production tools as value added to help sell more devices or as a possible revenue stream.

To say nothing of selling more materials and trying to “not be evil” that has been what I have seen. I have seen many other businesses that did not think that way and there are hints from the start.

Has there been an update on these air filters? Completely forgot that we were supposed to have one. It would be nice to have. And I just saw that they are for sale on the website stating April delivery??

I have a Glowforge/Air Filter delivery date of January 30 and my notice of the inevitable further delay is rather late in coming. While my years of hard-won training are so far holding it in check, it would be nice to get an update to forestall any outbreak of optimism. The fact that the promised December update never arrived was reassuringly familiar, but when even the Canadians are getting their machines I am concerned about developing a creeping sense that there might be a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks.

1 Like