Air Filter Latest

I think that’s to swap. They cancelled the original and thus have nothing to swap out.

I believe @dan already advised in his direct response to you.

3 Likes

I was going by what @Jules said about signing up to get on the list to buy one when they do become available. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Aaaahhhh…pfft…500 posts in, details.
:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Filed under “Careful what you wish for…”: We received a compact filter. Thanks! Ironically we don’t have a Glowforge to attach it to yet. :laughing: :cry:

8 Likes

:smile: That would be the definition of irony. (Glad you finally got your filter though.)

4 Likes

hah, well, i’m glad you finally got the filter you need. hopefully you can unfreeze your GF order and get that ASAP. i know you’ve been jonesing for a very long time waiting for a filter option.

2 Likes

Yep. We’re really excited. Trying to tamp it down since there’s been no word on the forge itself.

1 Like

I really wish there was a good way to know how full your Compact Filter is / what to set it on. I’m considering buying a wind gauge and testing the flow every couple days just to have more than a guess behind it. Also there is still no public information on how much the replacement filters cost or how much life to expect.

I’m personally at around 25 hours of cutting/engraving baltic birch ply and have no idea if the filter is at half it’s life, almost dead, or what.

When it starts to fill up, you will see more smoke accumulate in the body of the machine, without being drawn out. You might start to smell a slight odor. At that point, you will need to dial up the fan speed and order a replacement filter. (You will likely be able to run a few more jobs at the higher fan speeds, but it does take time for the filter to arrive, so you’ll want to have it on hand.)

I think you can currently order a replacement filter by sending an email to support@glowforge.com.

1 Like

I find the odor to be a difficult indicator to use since even a piece or two of scrap material keeps the odor for quite a while. Smoke accumulation is a decent indicator, but eyeballing how well it’s flowing out is just an educated guess. Until it really starts backing up into the machine you won’t know for sure your filter is done.

I’ve sent them the email to at least find out pricing if not order another to have it on hand. I just wish they would put out more public information. It’s not like the filter life and price will be a secret for long anyway.

1 Like

They’re probably still thrashing out the details…they’re going to need to know how many to inventory, and they can likely get a discount with larger orders. (Lots of behind the scenes stuff goes on with this kind of decision.) Eventually it will all work out and they can give us some numbers and get the filters set up in the store front.

You’ll see it when it starts to fill up…visibility in there becomes very poor. :smile:

2 Likes

Still no news, seems our GF somehow got misplaced or something. Have a box with a filter in it, but no news on whether we may have anything to filter at any point in the near future. Radio silence from our contacts, too. Back to being frustrated.

1 Like

I replaced the vent hose with plastic and I’m down about 10 db. The plastic hose is more rigid than the aluminum one. Although it’s a little louder than I’d like, I am pleased with it.

1 Like

Great to hear! (Or to hear less of, I suppose).

1 Like

I caved yesterday and cancelled my filter, I have used the GF for over a year now without a filter, so glad I opted not to wait on the filter and forge being delivered together. While cold sometimes (very cold) it’s just doesn’t seem to be worth the added expense and wait. Best of luck to those still hanging in there, I hope you get them soon.

1 Like

My GF has been sitting in its original box for almost a year…waiting for the filter. I wish I had not had them ship it out…I thought it would be just a few months. We live in a condo, so can’t really operate without a filter!! Now my warranty has expired on the GF…and I haven’t even taken it out of the box. :frowning: I’m hoping the GF filter ships soon, since I don’t really have the space for the external unit, though perhaps ordering that is my only chance to having the GF up and running.

2 Likes

Yikes! I broke down and bought a 3rd party filter even before the GF arrived. I planned on using it even when the regular filter arrived as there are still many tools like sanders and saws that are still big dust generators. The cost still would be better than finding that you needed the warranty, and what you might have made in the meantime. I thought about putting it aside but am now very glad I did not.

Welcome to the group and I hope things get better

1 Like

I would seriously re-evaluate your workspace and see if you can make the “Compact Filter” work. They would not have made it an option if there was much hope for the fancy filter being available soon.

Update: all was delivered.

6 Likes

Jules, I’ve been thinking seriously about opting to sign up for this alternative filter vs the GF one. GF will obviously be a nicer looking kit, well integrated, etc.

But…it seems to be this filter alternative filter would be useful for more than just the GF. I’m not familiar enough with it, but have you used it for anything else? If you left the hose off, could it be used to filter a lightly smokey room, or a garage with wood dust in the air from table saw / router use?

Seems like a very versatile air filtration system on wheels.

2 Likes