This thread has the latest on the Air Filter - updated most recently Jan 17th.
Glowforge Air Filter Status
The Glowforge Air Filter is an accessory many of you pre-ordered. It sits directly beneath your Glowforge, raising it by 5.5 inches, and removes both odor and potentially harmful smoke and fumes.
Unfortunately, we’ve determined we had to make significant changes to get the performance we know you want and expect. The latest still isn’t good enough for you yet, and that’s adding time to our delivery schedule. We’ve updated our delivery estimates to reflect the latest.
Introducing the Compact Filter
As we’ve seen delays delivering the Glowforge Air Filter, we decided to partner with an air filter vendor to create a new product that we could deliver more quickly - the Compact Filter. While the frame is a standard design, the insides have been completely customized to be the perfect partner for your Glowforge with upgraded fans, enhanced seals, and higher quality filter media. We plan to sell them for $995 as an alternative choice to the Glowforge Air Filter.
To be clear, this is not the Glowforge Air Filter (many of) you ordered - it’s something quite different:
It’s a small filter, about the size of a recycle bin, and it sits on the ground near your Glowforge, connected by a hose.
It does a fantastic job of removing the smoke and fumes from the Glowforge unit and returns the clean and filtered air to the room. That means it’s safe to operate your Glowforge anywhere when the instructions are followed. In fact, the filtered air from the Compact Filter has significantly fewer particles than typical indoor air.
We’ve added a switch in the Glowforge software that you turn on when the Compact Filter is attached. When it’s set, your Glowforge runs quieter because the fans from the Compact Filter do the brunt of the work.
It’s based on a tried and true filter design from a manufacturer that specializes in industrial filters, but upgraded with a much more powerful fan, and higher quality charcoal and particle filters.
Unlike the Glowforge Air Filter, the Compact Filter does not make your Glowforge taller but instead sits on the floor.
We expect it to sell for $995 when it is first released, although this may change.
The knob on the front starts at the lowest fan speed setting when your filter is empty. As it fills up, you can turn up the fan to get more life from the filter before you replace it.
It does not have any sensors or lifecycle monitoring. When you start to detect an odor, you turn up the fan; when the fan is at maximum speed and you start to detect odor, you replace the filter.
It’s 16.5" wide x 10.5" deep x 17" high.
The Compact Filter has a 6 month warranty, the same as the Glowforge Air Filter.
Would you like one now?
The first production run of the Compact Filter is now available in very limited quantities to US customers who have already pre-ordered a Glowforge Air Filter. If you would like to cancel your Glowforge Air Filter and receive a Compact Filter right now instead, read on.
- You’ll receive a Compact Filter for the same price you paid for your Glowforge Air Filter. There is no additional charge and no rebate.
- We do not accept returns for the Compact Filter, but do support it fully with a 6-month warranty, the same as for the Glowforge Air Filter. (Note that the warranty does not cover a full filter cartridge).
- You’ll be an early adopter – we might be slow to answer questions or identify solutions if you run into a snag.
- We don’t have the price of replacement cartridges ready, or data prepared on how long they will last with each Proofgrade material.
- They have been tested with Proofgrade materials. While they may work with materials from other suppliers, we can’t guarantee it.
- Draftboard and other MDF materials will use up the filter extremely quickly, and so we recommend against using them. Your filter cartridge will last up to ten times longer if you avoid Draftboard.
- We will ship some units immediately. If you don’t receive a unit right away, we may contact you later when another shipment is available.
- We’ve already delivered a few early units to Glowforge customers who’ve been using them - they may be able to chime in and answer questions in the comments below.
- If you don’t have an account on this forum, now is a good time to create one - we’ll need your forum username to request a Compact Filter in place of your Glowforge Air Filter.
- If you don’t get one, or don’t sign up, don’t worry - we plan to have a larger production run in the future. Similarly, if you’d like to buy one but haven’t already purchased a Glowforge Air Filter, we plan to make that option available.
Would you like to trade your Glowforge Air Filter order for a Compact Filter? Please fill out this form to let us know, and we’ll get back to you if we’re able to send you one.
The Glowforge Air Filter has been a long time in coming. I’m so sorry for the additional delay - we’re putting just as much care and attention to detail into the filter as we did into the printer. We’ll continue to do everything possible to get it to you as soon as we can. In the mean time, we’ll look to make the Compact Filter more widely available as an option for everyone.