Airflow measurements

Just wanted to update this thread, since the previous last word on the subject is no longer accurate. I thought the spike in particulates was just something I’d have to live with, but after some further investigation (described elsewhere) it turned out to be a leak and was mitigated with better tape (described elsewhere). The practical upshot is that PM2.5 levels are no longer useful as an indicator of whether the Glowforge is in use. They don’t actually spike at all, and there’s no detectable odor before the lid is opened. So, yay.

12 Likes

Is it possible to run one of those meat thermometers into the exhaust near the Glowforge that we could have a diagnostic of the exit temperatures? It would help a great deal in planning possible emergency measures until the official filters come out. As the volume of burn at any given moment is low I was hoping that the exhaust temperatures would also be manageable, Far less than a charcoal fire. Carbon monoxide levels also need management as they could be a larger problem, as I do not believe that activated charcoal would be very efficient at lowering those.

1 Like

I don’t think the out flow is hot. The heat going into it is probably around 200W but in a 200cfm airflow that is not going to be a lot.

3 Likes

I don’t notice any warmth when I hold my hand in front of the exhaust vent outside. That doesn’t mean it isn’t 5 degrees warmer than ambient but I can’t notice that on moving air cutting wood. Smells though.

5 Likes

I have noticed that in the original selling that the filter is exactly the same size as the Glowforge case which implies that the exhaust is straight down, but in the several setups above show the exhaust going out the back. If I am going to have to wait for the exhaust filters I will be needing something and will need to plan for at least a temporary setup for the six months extra I would be waiting for it.

Even an empty filter case (just the outside) could be a stand-in while waiting for the real one and produce the less Kluge when it arrives but if I am going to build a basic filter and outside exhaust, I would like as many critical measurements as possible to have that work done so (Pele?) can go to work right away.

It has been described that the GF filter has a connector that takes the output from the rear of the GF and directs it down into the filter. The GF filter also has its own fans.

1 Like

To clarify - you are basically running just a short vent hose out of the normal main unit venting location down to the back of the air filter; a C-shape or semi-circle .

I’m a little confused as to the request of the above message. Am I just reading it wrong?

2 Likes

As you are looking at the :glowforge: the exhaust vent for a hose is on the back, left-hand-side of the unit. It is my understanding that there is a second venting connection on the bottom that connects to the filter and when the filter is connected the rear exhaust port will be inactive.

1 Like

I think it’s fairly official that there is no air connection out the bottom of the machine, the filter will just connect to the exhaust port with a little loop of hose:

3 Likes

Thank yall

#necrogame

Outstanding.

We were all young and clever.