AirTag Keychain usage report + How proofgrade leather wears

So I made the Airtag Keychain six months ago, and I wanted to report on two aspects of basically everyday usage. I’ve got it on keychain that attaches to a belt loop and the keys and airtag mostly live in my pocket.

1. The hole in it is probably a bit too big - after a few months of using it, the Airtag started occasionally popping out into the bottom of my pocket because the leather had stretched enough for it to do so. I wound up recutting the keychain with the hole sized down to .6 inches - big enough to show the apple logo, but not big enough for it to pop out.

2. If you were wondering how Proofgrade natural leather wears over time, here are an updated version and the six-months-of-wear original version side by side (updated has just had some beeswax rubbed into the leather to condition it):

I actually really like the way this wears, but thought y’all might be interested to see what it does over time.

30 Likes

What a great post. Thanks for the info!

11 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the update. :sunglasses:

14 Likes

Thanks for the info. I love the ‘worn’ look best!

5 Likes

That’s helpful, thank you!

2 Likes

I do love how the leather wears - that deep rich brown it gets from the oils on our hands is unbeatable :slight_smile:

This is brand new (prior to engraving) and after 1 and 2 years of almost daily wear :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Ha! Good one. (I’m out of “likes” so having to manually “like.” lol)

7 Likes

Yeah, I liked that too. Made me think about what Elon said regarding our online activities; We are all like leaves on a tree, feeding AI.
I don’t think most people (including me) would be all that comfortable with what information about them is out there. When we are gone - that will remain. Our digital ghost. I just hope that my shenanigans make a positive contribution. :grimacing:

6 Likes

I hope the same for myself.

5 Likes