Alcohol Ink Pen Holder

I love working with these alcohol inks, but the bottles this brand sells them in do not seal well…and I’m very tired of having ink on the outside getting all over my hands.
Inspired by the modular pen holder design in the catalog I used the boxes.py divider tray as a start and ended here:

Alcohol Ink Holder_V4

It’s a 2 board piece that you’ll see once you download the .svg above.

In a perfect world it’d be made out of acrylic so you can see what colour you’re pulling - but for at least the short term I’m out of clear acrylic, so I’m using the cardboard one!

It’ll hold 24 objects, and then there’s an open space at the bottom (I built it a little fence so that as you’re using you can still keep them angled up - but I didn’t cut that out of the cardboard version so you don’t see it here)

These pens are 3.75" long and .6875" diameter…so longer ones will stick out more.
The pockets are ~.75" across so there’s a bit of wiggle room.

practical

*Also note that the tabs/slots have not been optimized for any particular material, so measure before you cut!

38 Likes

Cool! Thank you!

11 Likes

Very nice! Thanks for the share.

10 Likes

Great design. Thank you for sharing.

9 Likes

What a beautiful, practical cut. Thanks!

9 Likes

Thank you for this share!

6 Likes

Thanks for the share! Why do you prefer this alcohol ink over other brands?

Every time you post, I want to pull together a gathering of those of us who are in the crafty realm. I think it would be awesome to hang out for a day and play with a bunch of art/craft supplies.

8 Likes

I’ve only tried two, and the other was more like a marker while these squeeze out droplets. I really like working with alcohol inks, and these have nice pigmentation and enough in the bottle I can do multiple projects with them.

If you’re ever near northern Indiana… :smiley:

8 Likes

You never know!

7 Likes

That’s super clever! I’m a simple person; any time I see a bunch of flat sheets go together and produce an object with interesting angles, it seems like magic.

8 Likes

Wow, great practical project and one I can use. Thanks!

7 Likes

This is why I so desperately want to figure out Fusion 360, but each time I try either the tutorial I’m watching doesn’t match what I’m seeing, or they say to do something with zero clue how and I get frustrated :-/

4 Likes