Algorithmically generated laser design

There’s actually a really great instructable on this. Stay tuned, this is a project in my personal pipeline. I’m planning on cutting one on a future Laser Thursday!

3 Likes

I’m with you on that one!! Very future project, but I’m planning on using black acrylic to mimic the look of a vinyl record, cut some cool shapes out, make them into clocks, and bam! Instant “record clock” Christmas gifts for all my classic-rock loving uncles.

3 Likes

Anyone else have this thread never going to sleep but always showing up active on latest for me?

Had that happen on another thread. The only way I was able to get rid of it was to start a comment and then back out.

That did the trick.

What if we could tie the focus depth output to a tone generator? People could then design abstract laser art for the music it would produce. An audio barcode?

3 Likes

This just makes me think of someone engraving with a theramin. hahaha

3 Likes

I love the idea! It’s like all of those folks who use stepper motors to play songs. With a little tuning, you might be able to cut something visually interesting that way.

3 Likes

That sounds like fuel for a tim burtonesque movie. A lonely old man in his castle playing a duet on his theramin with an orchestra of stepper motors and floppy drives! hahaha

2 Likes