Alhambra-inspired inlaid coaster

Pretty simple techniques for many folks here, but I had a great time figuring how to make Inkscape do what I wanted! Wrote it all up here: Inlays on the Glowforge – Shutdown Hook

alhambra experiment coaster acrylic canvas
alhambra experiment coaster

43 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You are going to be a great asset to the community based on this project and your write up. Thank you!

4 Likes

Bravo! That’s a great first post; thank you for sharing the design. I hope we see you around the forum a lot more.

edit: Thanks for the link to your writeup. Illuminating. (you will find I’m the acolyte of bad puns)

3 Likes

Nice! The laser really is the tool for inlay. Having a cutting tool that you can graduate by thousandths is wonderful!
Another method is to set the stroke width to the kerf size and Path>stroke to path. That will give you a line on each side of the stroke (view>outline). The inside line is the hole for the inlay, and the outside line is for the inlay material.
The easiest method is the one you are used to. :grinning:

Welcome to the community!

6 Likes

Nicely done! The flip-to-fit method is useful for more than just inlay, it also makes for very strong joins when creating larger pieces.

4 Likes

nice work!

3 Likes

I’m blown away by this lovely inlay. Who would have thought acrylic and wood could look so great together?

3 Likes

That is gorgeous.
Knowing it was translucent I’m not sure I would have been able to put the cork on the back!

7 Likes

Welcome!
Beautiful, thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Wow! That’s so cool! Thank you so much for sharing how you figured something like that out!

3 Likes

Excellent work!

3 Likes

That is very pretty! Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Thank you! I definitely want to use this effect in another piece!

2 Likes

Welcome! This is a very nice piece indeed, I love the photo where you can see the light through it. Absolutely gorgeous!

3 Likes

Great work!

2 Likes

If there were some way to drop in a battery, LED, and some sort of controls between the acrylic and cork… :grin:

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Inlay is definitely not simple and you did a wonderful job with it. So glad you joined us, can’t wait to see what you design next.

3 Likes

Nice way to join the forum!! It is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing it with us.

1 Like