Alignment/focus issues

I have been running a couple of experiments. I saved a setting and it included manual height that is pretty far off of the actual. I did not use set focus. When I hit print, after processing, the screen image changed and the cut used the manual height. The resulting cut line was very wide compared to when auto focus was used.

To help other people that might have the same problem with focus issues and presets, can you state whether or not your presets had manual height settings?

No I didn’t use manual height adjustment this was auto focus only.

I set the piece in the machine then auto focus so that my artwork is centered then put in my carve settings and save. This is on the first piece.

The presets shouldn’t be saving the material height just the cut settings or at least that’s what I would think since even the same material could be off by a hair one way or the other.

If the presets are saving the material height then I would think auto focus would over ride that.

Anyway if it’s by design then instructions need to be put out there by glowforge on how this works. If it isn’t by design which I assume it isn’t then it needs fixed. I looked around a bit and I’m not the first person to find this massive flaw there are a few very in-depth explanations on YouTube.

You are right that you are not the only person experiencing this. If you toggle manual height on and enter a setting, it overrides auto focus. This makes it possible to do defocused engraves and scores. I am just trying to understand the issue so I saved some settings with manual heights and they saved with the settings. I will continue researching as time permits.

2 Likes

I am using auto focus not manual I’m confused what your saying.

I get you can do defocused burns but that information shouldn’t be saved in the presets. At least not in my opinion. I can with no wood in the machine do no auto focus and not manually put in the wood thickness I can still set my presets if I want.

If the presets are supposed to be tied to the material thickness then why not have that information in the preset that you can set there? Or at minimum have it indicated that whatever the material thickness is be it autofocus or manually set that will be in the preset.

I still say it’s a mistake it’s tied together somehow making the presets worthless for me anyway.

I’m just glad I know now and can just skit the presets.

Oh no, I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with your recent prints.

Thank you so much for including all of the troubleshooting steps you’ve performed to help narrow down the cause of the trouble.

We’re seeing this too, and our team is currently investigating the circumstances around this trouble.

We’ll update you as soon as we have more information.

1 Like

Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately our team doesn’t have additional information at this time, but I wanted to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about you and we’re still looking into the issue.

Thank you.

If you don’t mind when it is resolved could you reply to this topic so I don’t miss it?

In the mean time I have everything running semi smooth by just not using any presets and manually inputting settings each time.

I am happy to hear that you have everything running semi smoothly at the moment! Sadly, we don’t have any updates at this time. However, I will be sure to reply here once we have more information to share.

Hello! Would you mind testing and letting us know if your preset settings are now working as intended?

Will do but won’t be able to until After next week have relatives incoming but will for sure after

Thanks.

Thanks for letting us know. That is just fine, whenever is best for you :slight_smile:

Can’t test until next week when my house guests leave.

Allen Deckard

On Oct 24, 2021, at 6:02 PM, Glowforge <support@glowforge.zendesk.com> wrote:

Hey Allen,

No problem, just let us know how it goes when you are able to test. Have a great time with your house guests!

Kind regards,

Sorry for taking so long to reply I wanted to make positive that things have been fixed and yes i believe that they have have done several test burns with various settings and things seem to be working fine now thank you.

Hi @allen-deckard! Thank you for the update, I appreciate you letting us know. Since everything is resolved now, I’m going to close this forum post.

I know we spent a lot of time working to get this fixed for you, but I greatly appreciate you posting about this and continuing to update us about the issue. Reports like yours help us make our product for everyone. Thank you again for your help and I hope you have a great time making cool things with your Glowforge. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help with in the future.