All Out of Ideas

and quite often redfin gets the photos before realtor.com does. sometimes by a full day. not sure why that is.

So suddenly get into swedish black metal :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

Already there; it’s just the required volume that is an issue!

2 Likes

I was an audiologist in my past life. Just a couple of things to try in the meantime… Musicians earplugs. The standard earplugs you tried likely attenuated the high frequencies the most, musician’s earplugs attenuate fairly equally across frequencies. They still may not dampen enough in the lows for you. White noise: if that didn’t work, there are a host of other noises you can try to mask it. If you go to an audiologist, they should be able to actually play masking centered around the affected frequencies. Tape it and try that.

5 Likes

if you have a good pair of noise canceling headphones, they may get rid of most of it. you’d just need to keep them charged.

i wear my apple pro buds while i’m mowing the lawn and barely hear the lawnmower. or any other power tool.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input.

Earplugs don’t work partially because the vibration is coupled through my bed into my skull when I am laying down. When I move my bed into the living room I don’t get the pressure wave, but I still get the vibration as soon as my head hits the pillow. I can thankfully sleep through that.

I can’t however sleep with headphones or earplugs since I am a side sleeper. I can’t get used to sleeping on my back, no matter how hard I try.

White, pink, and brown noise doesn’t work for a similar reason. The real issue is the pressure wave that is created by my walls vibrating and the amount of energy involved. Nothing will mask that pressure wave unless it creates a pressure pocket in the ear canal that can’t be affected by the outside source. Noise only fills in the other frequencies.

As noted above, I would need to vibrate the building at the same frequency and with a 180 degree phase shift in order to stop the pressure wave.

3 Likes

I have Sony’s WH1000-XM4 and I just got the XH1000-XM5 to see if they would help. They do to some degree, but only if the noise cancelling is turned off. Otherwise the low frequency noise gets picked up and transmitted into the signal.

The WF1000-XM4 earbuds make it worse, probably because of the pressure they create in the ear canal.

This is a spike signal at 18-21 Hz and most noise cancelling algorithms don’t cover that low frequency very well at all:

As seen from the chart, you only get a few dB attenuation at that low frequency.

The interesting thing is that the chart records no low frequency attenuation from just the isolation, but my testing shows otherwise. Wearing the headphones with their power off provides enough attenuation of the 18-21 Hz signal that I can almost not sense it. As soon as I turn them on the attenuation of that signal goes way down.

Even with the power off they are only effective to a certain degree. I can still sense it, but it takes longer to get to the painful point - 5-10 minutes instead of 2-3 minutes. I wear these when I have to work at the PC in the office, but it still gets more than I can handle after a couple of hours.

1 Like

You could set your alarm clock to this…

Very loud and at full base.

If you could set that beat to music it might make it easier, or perhaps an equal annoyance.

When driving (some years ago) I would set this on repeat to focus on driving and make the time pass quicker.

(Though at times all I can hear is his mother saying “Why didn’t you take up the violin like your cousin Ernie? He doesn’t need a huge truck to carry his instrument around!”)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.