Almost there

Finally got off my ash and burned some wood. I’m a big fan of 805laser on Etsy and have engraved this file on bamboo and it came out good. I was at woodworkers source in Tucson and they had the cherry natural edge ovals. So I got one for this purpose. As it turns out there was some rot in the center so I filled it with this wood filler I have. It came out ok, but The filler didn’t engrave well. So I’m going to redo it. I’ll take my shaper origin, route out a thin pocket, then make a matching plug out of cherry sand it all down and go again. I used proofgrade cherry plywood settings (thick).

I just need to figure out if I make it a wall hanging or coat it with food safe epoxy resin and make a serving board out of it. :thinking::rabbit2::hole:

41 Likes

Love his files! This looks great on the oval.

6 Likes

That turned out good. I have several of his as well.

4 Likes

so cool!

4 Likes

Really great looking!

1 Like

Really nice looking!

2 Likes

Really amazing depth! A simple 1/4" drill hole with the ends reamed out would allow hanging it. Etching out for display, but etching down for cutting or serving.

@rbtdanforth There’s no depth to 805laser’s designs - that’s all trick of the eye!

@djfb I’d say cheese plate/serving platter - but it’s going to be a drunk trap for anyone distracted enough to not realize it’s not actually 3D!
I’m surprised at how well the wood filler engraved. It definitely stands out, but still!

5 Likes

Yeah those depth-look files are really wonderful, and it came out great on the cherry.

2 Likes

Pretty sweet!

1 Like