Aluminum Bottle Opener

I have been experimenting with these aluminum keychain bottle openers and having some trouble! I have my settings at full speed and full power and have tried a few different LPI’s but I can’t get any consistency at all. I will think I have it figured out and get a good print like the top one, and then the very next one looks like the bottom one in the picture. Same setttings, same material. I don’t understand what is going wrong. Does anyone have any input? Thanks!
IMG_1214

2 Likes

Are you using a jig or placing each one separately? I have engraved similar items and not had that problem. Are these done at the same time but placed at different places on the bed?

Maybe slow it down a little?

1 Like

It’s likely there is no consistency between how the coating was applied to each part.

As with certain materials (like bamboo cutting boards for example) you will likely need to find a “compromise” in settings that give you acceptable results. Higher than necessary for some in order to get a good result on others.

3 Likes

No, I have just been doing one at a time, in attempt to figure out the right settings. I place it right in the center, in almost the exact same spot each time. It is so strange!

Can I ask what LPI you use?

“Almost the exact same spot” will not be good enough to get completely repeatable results. You may want to make a jig and make sure you properly use the set focus tool. There are lots of posts about anodized aluminum. Personally, I have used 700/50/225 - others have suggested 1000/full. I have found anodized aluminum to be pretty forgiving.

1 Like