Amazing artistry! (Not laser related.)

13 Likes

Holy crap! And here I struggle with basic jump ring jewelry assembly! Thatā€™s nutterz!

3 Likes

Skilled Jeweler/watchmaker. Precision graving is something that I never mastered, but I did learn how to sharpen tools.
Graving takes immaculate tool control (strong hands). Watching his tool cut, not to mention the beautiful product, tells me he has many years practice.
Really neat work!

3 Likes

Now youā€™ve got me all wondering about ā€œgravingā€ vs. ā€œengraving,ā€ and whether itā€™s like ā€œflammableā€ vs. ā€œinflammable.ā€

4 Likes

Iā€™m probably misusing the term, but the cutting tool is called a graver.

2 Likes

Maybe itā€™s because if I tried to use one thatā€™s where I might end up? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I found them difficult to control. Tool angle, even pushing pressure (downward and forward) and an exquisite edge determine the performance. You start with the initial stroke, very light, just enough to give the tool a path on subsequent strokes. Increasing pressure and graver angle as you go. I was always gouging too deep or slipping out of the grove. It takes a real touch. I have always admired the skill. No other form of metalwork has made me cuss as much. :grimacing: #$*!^%!
And yes, they will draw blood. Ask me how I know that.

4 Likes

I just want to know where you can get one of those. (Not the tool, the coins.) Would go well with my sisterā€™s poison ring collection. :smile:

1 Like

Individually hand craftedā€¦ I expect they would command a premium price. Definitely a collectorā€™s item.
There is a world-wide organization of watchmakers who annually present their entries in competition, and the $ values are right up there with a Rolex. :grimacing:

2 Likes

So it might have to be a small collection, eh? :thinking::smile:

1 Like

I am not familiar with poison ringsā€¦

They have a little hinged clasp and a pocket to hold a small quantity of poison. Generally made of silver. (Useful in Medieval times to take out a competitor. Supposed a favorite of the Borgia family.)

And currently available on Amazonā€¦just search ā€œpoison ringsā€. :rofl:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.