Amazing Font resource

Bookmarked, for all the sites

2 Likes

ha, I was thinking the same thing - great minds, etc :joy: [except my name isnā€™t Alicia, of course :smirk:)

7 Likes

Hilarious :joy:

You beat me to it. Dafont is amazing. If any of you havenā€™t used that site before, you should definitely check it out!

3 Likes

Remember that a lot of the ā€˜freeā€™ fonts on Dafont and similar sites are only free for personal use. If you use them commercially, you are supposed to buy a commercial license from the designer.

If you donā€™t want to pay for a nice font, read up on typography, download a font-designing app and get ready to be frustrated. Then reconsider paying for a nice font.

20 Likes

Iā€™ve bought several fonts from Myfonts.com and Iā€™m very happy with them. They have sales and bundles quite a lot that are really good deals.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s the voice of experience!

12 Likes

Hear hear! :smile:

3 Likes

From what I can tell, most of Googleā€™s fonts are free for commercial or non-commercial use. https://fonts.google.com/ Just be sure to note the specific license on each font you download.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not actually positive about the google font licensing for physical products. Maybe someone else knows more about that.

they state:
"The open source fonts in the Google Fonts catalog are published under licenses that allow you to use them on any website, whether itā€™s commercial or personal. "

Note that they say ā€˜websiteā€™, not ā€˜design projectā€™.

Yes, for sure!

3 Likes

Good point. The majority are published under the Open Font License (OFL) which has this in their FAQ:

Authors of fonts released under the OFL allow you to use their font software as such for any kind of design work. No additional license or permission is required, unlike with some other licenses. Some examples of these uses are: logos, posters, business cards, stationery, video titling, signage, t-shirts, personalised fabric, 3D-printed/laser-cut shapes, sculptures, rubber stamps, cookie cutters and lead type. [emphasis mine]

The bulk of the remaining fonts are released under the Apache license with the final three under the Ubuntu license. I have read neither of these.

Googleā€™s repository of the fonts on GitHub is organized by license so if you want to grab all that fit the OFL you can do so there.

13 Likes

5 Likes

I just found another very nice collection of fonts released under the OFL (thus free for all use as shown above). The League of Moveable Type

13 Likes

There are some reals gems in there.

1 Like

I know this was a year ago, but I just saw the post. I was just searching for good font resources, so Iā€™ll look into it. Thanks!