Amazing Results for 3D Engraving Waveform Gifts

I made some waveform art gifts for family and friends - of kids speaking to their deployed fathers. I decided to try it in acrylic instead of wood after seeing an acrylic engrave of a popular song. The one online was single depth and the line was colored (paint?) The other versions I have seen are just prints on paper or canvas. It seemed like a good idea but because my waveforms were layered with different voices I had “depth” without really realizing it because of the different colors I had made the lines.

I wasn’t expecting the depth to show so beautifully or, really, at all. It’s a totally different look than the online generics or the personalized color prints I had seen.

These are my very first acrylic pieces so my gluing technique is…questionable (I can’t seem to get that capillary action I see on YouTube videos) but I love how amazingly better these turned out than expected!!

I love this machine!

26 Likes

Nice project!

2 Likes

That’s cool, can you turn the picture back into a soundbite?

2 Likes

Put it on a vinyl record player? :thinking:

3 Likes

I can’t glue things either - try chicago screws - they look really nice and no glue required.

(the link is just a sample - they may not be the right size etc etc)

4 Likes

Try reverse engraving on clear acrylic and then backing it with black acrylic. Gives a really nice effect.

3 Likes

For this to work you need to have really square corners. This is tough to do with the GF because of the hourglass shape it puts on the edge. When I make acrylic boxes I always run a router around the edge to get a perfectly flat, square edge.

4 Likes

There’s a QR code with it that brings them to the sound file so they can actually listen to the little voices :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats cool!

1 Like

Good tip! Thank you!

1 Like

I would never have realized that! I have a router so I will start doing that!
Thanks!!