Ambigrams

Seems like laser people will like this. Engraving this would be interesting.

http://hardmath123.github.io/ambigrams.html

17 Likes

Way cool! Need to find more…

1 Like

Have to play with this:

9 Likes

Let’s add this to the list of lunch break rabbit holes…

3 Likes

THAT is an awesome find. Thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

Dang it! :neutral_face:

1 Like

Flipscript has absurd licensing rules. I wouldn’t use them just because of that.

6 Likes

Thanks for alerting us to the fine print!!!

1 Like

I love creating these! I will have to find some of the ones I did years ago.

1 Like

Such a great use for GAN! Nice. I have a little notebook of ambigrams I’ve sketched, they’re addictive.

3 Likes

It’s neat to see something useful being done with ML techniques. :grinning:

I think there are several other ambigram generators around besides FlipScript.

I started training a neural network to create ambigrams ( https://m.xkcd.com/2173/ ):

Typically, I write two target words next to each other or, above and below with one flipped. Then I look for commonalities in shapes of the adjacent letterforms and, start sketching.

6 Likes

Yeah, one key is that there’s often not a letter to letter match, sometimes the forms of or from two neighbors form a single inverted letter. So the above “alphabet” is neat but ultimately sub optimal.

3 Likes

Another link in the Rabbit Hole directory.

May need to sub folder it soon, it is getting rather large.

2 Likes

Read through Flipscript’s licensing and it’s industry standard, frankly way cheaper than I expected. $20 for personal and $100 for commercial? Total bargain! For perspective, a single style of Helvetica is $35/desktop, $35/web, $35/digital advertising, $70 ebook, $350/mobile app, and $350 per year/server. You should get paid for your work, know your value! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suppose I meant terms of service.

I fully support artists and believe that they should definitely be paid for the value of their works. I just feel that the TOS is overboard here.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.