An engineer's observations and a question or two

I haven’t seen my filter yet, so I don’t know if it has internal air movers. I am guessing they are still working out the chemistry.

IR comms, that sounds hackable for an exhaust blower.

I second that motion! User control to extend the duration of the exhaust cycle would be fantastic. The smoke that gets trapped under the material really stinks things up. It would be nice to be able to purge for several minutes if desired.

1 Like

A question about the SSID issue: is it unable to work with a hidden SSID after setup, or you just need to make the SSID visible long enough to set it up? If it’s the latter, I don’t see that as a huge issue… and either way, I think it’s addressable by creating an iPhone app similar to the Alexa app during setup.

1 Like

I was originally surprised by that as well. But, in retrospect it makes sense. As a device for the masses, it makes sense to go for the probably lowest common denominator that is sufficient for the purpose. Since all 5GHz wireless routers support 2.4GHz and because no 2.4GHz wireless router supports 5.4GHz and 2.4GHz is sufficient, it makes sense to go with 2.4 and not 5. That makes the progressive technologists scratch their heads because “5GHz is so much better”. But there are likely many more people still on 2.4 only than on 5 so it saves GF issues with people who can’t get their machine on the Internet.

1 Like

The trouble is 5 GHz might be faster in line of sight but it isn’t as good at penetrating walls and going round corners, so not always better than 2.4GHz.

4 Likes

:smirk: I felt the same way and went outta my way to find something else to call it. “The lasering”, "the engraving, “the cut”, “the cut and engraving” just got so cumbersome. I settled on “the job” which was a better. Then after using my GF for several months I started calling it a print without really thinking about it. When I first realized I was using the dreaded “print” word I felt like I almost betrayed my precious laser. In all honesty, it feels like the right word to me now as most of what I happen to be doing is printing (engraving) with fire onto wood and acrylic. If it still hurts too much, I totally get it though and you can call it anything you like. This is a safe space and theere’s no judgment here lol :hugs:

5 Likes

Who you calling “the masses”. :wink: No in my neighborhood 5GHz is not as crowded, every 2.4 channel is occupied with at least one if not two routers.

1 Like

I’m going with “job,” I think it covers all manners of activity; and its still in line with the terminology for moving content from a computer to a rendering device (printer, laser, cricut, etc.)

1 Like

I think I refer to ‘them’ as projects…but really haven’t given it much thought.

This is not security. This is an attempt at security through obscurity.

What you may not know, is that every time you take your home devices (phone, laptop, whatever) away from your home WiFi, they are actively searching (probing) for your home WiFi. Because your SSID is hidden (SSID field in the beacon is null), your devices have to send probes to determine if they can connect. Others can intercept those probes and determine your home SSID name from the probes. They can then attempt to spoof the SSID by creating their own hidden SSID and responding to the probes

Security best practices for WiFi is to avoid using hidden SSIDs.

4 Likes

I’ll probably go with “magic” instead of prints.

1 Like

5G can also be much less uniform – I have random dead spots in my house that are right in the middle of live areas. (I assume because of a combination of absorption and reflection, but I don’t want to get in a situation where using the GF means arranging the furniture just so. Like the old days when getting a TV signal required holding the rabbit ears in exactly the right place.)

1 Like

I had a similar thought, though in my case, it was home maker training. You don’t open the oven on an oven fire.

What I noted was that the air assist kept the area too cold for a full fire to take place, but as soon as the air assist was removed, the flame bloomed. The fire triangle: heat, fuel, oxygen. The air assist can remove heat even though it provides plenty of oxygen.

1 Like

Thank you @ben1 for pointing to the manual. You can also review safety information here in the support area.

You can search for hidden networks by selecting “Join other network”.
https://images.contentful.com/ljtyf78xujn2/3ySbMpg4AMcsAiAyAiqaKC/691e2ab1f9bc8fe8bf1a04df477067b6/image8.png.

The Wi-Fi is 2.4 GHz b/g/n.

Thank you for writing in - I’ve passed on your feedback.