And how low can you go?

ooooooh, I just checked out your website (url under your avatar) - what GORGEOUS stuff! At 47, I’m a bit old to start wanting a dollhouse, but you did make me crave one :slight_smile: :+1: I especially like the tiny little newspapers.

8 Likes

It’s that round copper thing with Abraham Lincoln on the front. :joy:

3 Likes

@cynzu, I just checked out yours, and wow. Totally blown away by those pieces. Is that polymer clay laserable?

4 Likes

That was my first question to GF before I bought it, and the answer was, “I don’t know” and as I’ve read more on the forum, I think my answer is, “hm, I don’t think I should try it”. Polymer Clay is - well, it depends on the formula of the brand - but essentially, it bakes into hard plastic. So, I have a feeling that laser fumes would be dangerous. (When I sand the stuff, I use wet sandpaper and wear a mask - you do not want to breathe in particles of plastic.)

That said, I’m still really excited to get the GF to create nifty little boxes to cover in polymer clay, and to make lamp-skeletal structures into which I can slide flat glass panels. (Drilling holes in apothecary jars to make lamps is not fun. Though, the apothecary-lamp-shapes are nifty.) Lots more lamp-related projects w/GF - I’ll be forging lamp-bases of wood to support polymer-clay covered glass globes, etc. Can’t wait!

7 Likes

@cynzu Thank you! And you’re NEVER too old for a dollhouse :grinning:! Most serious collectors are between the ages of 35 - 75. The majority of my collectors are empty-nesters, like me.

(The tiny newspapers are made by a friend of mine and they are awesome!)

To bring this back to the topic of the :glowforge:, I have quite a few files ready and waiting for it. I’m sure it will not disappoint. @henryhbk’s results show amazing potential for the scale hobby world.

1 Like

Acrylic fumes are pretty nasty too. There is nasty, there is toxic and there is dangerous to you and the laser cutter… The first one is fine, second one is iffy (I don’t know how toxic acrylic fumes are, and CO is clearly toxic from wood cutting, etc) and third is obviously a negative. The problem is nobody is going to want to test and find out it’s #3. But the manufacturer can at least tell you definitely #3 (e.g. this has chlorine)

4 Likes

I accidentally nuked some when I was cutting those eggshells. (I was cradling them in place on a little bed of Sculpey.)

The good news is, I’m still here…(well, good from my perspective anyway…) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The bad news is…the laser cooks the clay and hardens it. I didn’t notice any removal of material. So cutting through it might not work too well.

9 Likes

The LPI is set by the Proofgrade material setting too - many are at 340, but not all, and in the future we may offer e.g. “draft mode” for quicker prints.

6 Likes

Can/will we be able to use :proofgrade: settings as a base and just set LPI ourselves? Maybe with a “WARNING: You’re putzin’ with PG settings here at your own risk.” if necessary. (For the record, I think any such warning must use the word “putzin’.”)

2 Likes

You can do that now. If it can’t identify the material it lets you can tell it what PG you have in there (or are pretending to have). Then you can let it follow the automatic settings or override them.

4 Likes