And then there was 3D

Come on MARCH!!!

What is the 3d engrave option?.. I donā€™t see it in my GFUI

Oh damn. Thatā€™s really cool!

@benjgould Itā€™s the new 3D engraving setting that are being rolled out. Hereā€™s the post about it. Itā€™s under the engraving options when your using the hardwood and draftboard PF material @jetzel

1 Like

Some, but not all PG material. I know the option is there for Draftboard.

Yes, doesnā€™t seem to be an option for plywood. Iā€™m finding it for the hardwoods and draft.

So I did a test comparison on a file Iā€™ve cut before to see the difference w/ 3D and the 2 pass engrave I had been using for this. I cut the new version in .255 poplar hardwood. (Unfortunately itā€™s a different wood than I used before, so not an exact comparison.) I had to use the setting for thick draftboard and you can not adjust for thickness in the 3D setting. The poplar wood I used was thicker than the draftboard so it was slightly out of focus. Even so, it still came out better than the original engraving with a lot more detail. With the thick PF, there was the option of a ā€œdeep 3D engraveā€ and I used that. The darkest spots ate through the wood and Iā€™ll use the regular 3D option next time.

I threw in an example of the file as well. Note to self; donā€™t use your dogā€™s hairy sweater as a backdrop next time. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

That would explain why I didnā€™t seeā€¦ been only using the maple plywood and acrylic so far.

1 Like

Oh yeah, it is limited to material, sorry 'bout not pointing that out sooner.