Anniversary!

As great as both accomplishments are, I would not put them in the same category.

I agree with you that a 50th wedding anniversary is a fantastic life milestone.

In the sad times we are living in which millenials don´t even consider marriage, other generations consider marriage disposable, and many of us who have lost a friend or family member to Covid 19 or other disease, who will not be able to celebrate again any other anniversary, a 50th wedding anniversary is a big deal and reason to celebrate, even if your loved ones could not gather around to be with you!

I thank you for sharing your life celebration with us. We regoice with you and may God keep your love for each other and in health for many anniversaries more!

9 Likes

Both these anniversaries are wonderful in their own way
:glowforge: :partying_face: :champagne: :smiley: :birthday:

7 Likes

Ellen,
Happy 50th!!! Yes, I’m excited about your GF anniversary but I am much happier about your golden anniversary. Most of our close friends have stayed married, but we have reached that time in our life that it seems another rash of divorces are occurring and it is really sad… couples are becoming empty nesters and I guess are finding out they don’t have a reason to stay together any longer. So yes, happy anniversary to you and your husband and many, many more.

5 Likes

Happy anniversary! Woot woot!

4 Likes

Thank you everyone! And yes, I am much more excited about my 50th than my GF.

As my father died when I was 11, and Marc’s parents had divorced, we determined when we got engaged that divorce wasn’t an option, whether we had children or not. And we never felt like “empty nesters” when our kids moved out, because we raised them to be adults and live their own lives, and we always put each other first (besides taking care of our kids’ needs and enjoying them, of course), as we always knew that it would only be us after they left home. And that’s also part of the reason we moved across country - to do what WE wanted to do, whether our kids wanted us to move or not. I miss our kids terribly every day, but the joy we have here together on our farm can’t be beat.

We’ve always enjoyed each other’s company and neither of us ever felt the need for either of us to have a night out with the guys or gals. We’re the type who can go on an 8 hr car ride (our favorite thing to do is go for scenic drives) and not say a word for hours, and yet not think one is mad at the other. We just enjoy being together. Has it all been smooth sailing? Definitely not. We’ve had some very rough times. But we took, and still take, our vows seriously, for better or worse, in sickness and in health, as long as we both shall live. We enjoy each day the Lord gives us and for as many as He will.

9 Likes

That was us too :slight_smile: It seemed so inefficient to have to break in a new life-partner - all the jokes they wouldn’t understand, the life experiences they wouldn’t share, and for trophy partners they’d not even understand things we experienced growing up because they’d not have been alive for the moon landing, first Star Wars movie, 8-track tapes, laser discs, Apple Newtons…

So there’s been a bit of a tension for the past 40 years - the only way out is if one of us kills the other :wink: Always a matter of determining if she’s reached the end of her rope yet and I’m a marked man or not :smiley: She does still let me do the brakes on her car :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

I get it. We just started on year 55 right before we moved in March. The good, the bad, and the ugly all came with us and we wouldn’t have it any other way.

9 Likes

When Marc was in law enforcement and I worked at the DA’s Office, I did joke one time that if it ever got to that point, I’d just kill him instead of divorce, as I could get out of prison in 7 years for good behavior, which was a whole lot less than a lifetime of dealing with an ex! Even the DA laughed at that! :rofl:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.