Annoying Laundry Icons (w/ free SVG)

I got sick of not knowing what the heck my laundry tags were trying to say so I made a guide:

(Medium Proofgrade Maple Ply)

It has captive 1cm neodymium disc magnets inset into BB plywood rings on each corner, covered with a veneer for tidiness and to hold the magnets a bit more securely.

(Medium Proofgrade Maple Ply, Baltic Birch Plywood rings, Mahogany raw veneer discs, hidden magnets )

No more arguing with the dumb tags. SVG if you’d like your own:

washing_symbols_fixed_cutsheetNOCLIP

(Right click to download)

65 Likes

Wait, you can’t just put everything in together and set it to hard boil?

29 Likes

They have tags?? What kind of witchcraft is this?

19 Likes

You guys are not helping with the ol’ stereotypes here. :wink:

21 Likes

Everyone needs one of these! Unless you’re proud of everything turning pink, or grubby, or shrunk.
Thanks for the share. I would call this a practical cut…

19 Likes

How many variants are needed for 20-min wash, cold water? Asking for a friend.

19 Likes

If it is going to require any special care, I don’t own it (besides separating colors from whites, the pink items testify to my education there).

22 Likes

special care

Yeah I don’t dry things that are synthetic or wool… bathing suits, wicking shirts, hiking pants etc.

Now the other person in my house… her labels are considerably more complex. You learn pretty quickly that you need a guide after the first time you ruin something in the dryer. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

This is a great share, thank you. Reminds me of when I was first married. Marc bought be a beautiful wool sweater with an outfit. I came home from work and he told me he had done laundry. Unfortunately he didn’t think about the sweater - which had shrunk (naturally) and fit a child’s doll! He was absolutely devastated! We still laugh about it!

14 Likes

This is awesome!!Thanks for sharing!

(I was looking for the icon that says “ask your mother!)

:grin:

17 Likes

Great, I can replace my paper version!

Reminds me of something my wife’s grandmother told her: Always put new dishes, pots, containers, etc. in the dishwasher; if it’s not dishwasher safe, it’s not welcome!

17 Likes

Sounds like a smart lady who knew how to spend her time. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

as long as you don’t put sharp knives or wooden spoons in there…

12 Likes

This is me too, plus my SO does all the laundry :slight_smile: We wash everything on cold though, which removes like 80% of the issues. We don’t dry things like swimsuits, but that’s about the extent of our special treatment :slight_smile: I’ve even machine washed a men’s suit - had to iron it when it came out, but it did just fine!

@evansd2 That’s a great chart! I feel like laundry mats and apartments should hang those…especially as after something’s been washed a few times you can almost never read the words, just the images!

I do have to ask though:
below 30 degrees?! How does work?

11 Likes

I always thought that one was about washing tennis balls.

Celsius maybe? :grin:

10 Likes

I was thinking that too - but then they’ve also got an 80 degree one…and that’s only a little below boiling (~176 degrees)

7 Likes

I remember my high school science teacher asserting that numbers without proper units are meaningless.

I am not familiar with any fibers that need to be washed in an ice bath. It would be interesting to see examples of that one in use in the wild.

I am now imagining freezing a garment in a block of ice, then thawing it to clean.

9 Likes

Nice…but reading the chart is probably more effort than I would ever put in. Even worse for me because I have an all-in-one machine…I just throw everything is, then start the machine and it washes and dries in one go.

I SHOULD read the tags though, because the husband bought a 100% wool sweater this winter, unbeknownst to me, and now only the cat can wear it, though it’s probably even a little too tight for the cat.

18 Likes

The numbers are in ºC, and yes, some can go as high as 95ºC…

Although my earlier comment was dismissive, it was a joke. That said, I never pay any attention as I just tell my washer (and dryer) what I’m dealing with and it chooses the settings for me.

… kind of like Proofgrade! :rofl:

I got rid of virtually everything that requires any special treatment, so in-general, I just throw everything in together. I don’t even own an iron except for applying cut vinyl to garments.

13 Likes

You would have to add salt or something to your water. :slight_smile:

5 Likes