Anodized Aluminum License Plate

I used CerMark metal laser marking spray on an aluminum license plate blank, and it looked great until I went to rinse off plate and the engraved area washed away too! Anyone ever seen this?

I don’t use cermark, but it happens when your settings are incorrect - you didn’t fuse it to the material.

Try different settings until you find ones that work.

2 Likes

Agree with @eflyguy . I spent an afternoon a year ago experimenting with cermark and anodized aluminum. Lots of trials resulting in faint marks where it just didn’t ‘hold’. I found that it’s not just a matter of intensity; a lower power and slower speed had an unintuitive (to me, at least) better result than some high power settings.
Keep at it! Good luck!

3 Likes

The company says Cermark will not work on anodized or clear coated metals.

3 Likes

What Rpegg said. I suspect clear coat or some other surface treatment. worst case, try sanding the surface with some fine grit to remove that stuff. or it could be you settings.

1 Like

ok well I just tried a few different settings and attached is a picture of what I got this time. Looks like the settings make a huge difference. I scrubbed the plate under running water with a dish brush.

sorry my writing isn’t the best…

8 Likes

Looks like you are on the correct path there :slight_smile: should turn out pretty amazing with the correct settings.

1 Like

setting up another test, but at 450lpi I probably wont update any time soon…lol its a big picture/graphic and just wanna see if it works on a dummy plate before I waste another

1 Like

The thickness of the metal has a lot to do with it. Thicker pieces wick the heat you need away so you need more pews and/or less zooms to get the Cermark to set. Once it’s set, it should last forever. You didn’t say which formula you are using, but Cermark recommends LMM-14 for softer metals such as aluminum or copper, and LMM-6000 for harder metals like stainless steel.

1 Like

aha I have LMM-6000. seems to be working just have to slow down to 500 and do at least 450LPI.

hate to buy another can that stuff is outrageous. I want to say it was close to $100 a can. I also bought LMC-6044P for Ceramic and Glass.

1 Like

Super spendy. LMM-14 is $62 from the manufacturer. I found that out after spending $84 at Amazon…

when my wife wants to make something that requires it I give her that look like “you better get your own can woman”…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.