Another butter knife

I’m not one to turn down a good bandwagon… but I wanted a more traditional design.

Blade is 1/16” hickory clad with raw cherry veneer, a homemade thin plywood. If you look along the blade edge where I “sharpened” it you can see the hickory and Cherry border. It’s subtle but I like it.

The handle is 1/8” black walnut with an inlaid padauk flower. Overall length 7.5”. It was important to me that it feels nice in the hand so I rough-shaped the handle with a Dremel and then finished sanding the curved edge by hand up to 600 grit.

So yeah, butter knives. Who knew?

Inspired by this thread:

50 Likes

Beautiful jam spreading knife!!

10 Likes

I haven’t had bread & butter in years, but now I just have to go make myself a butter knife.

Thanks for calling out the ‘ply’ of the blade–I went back to the first photo and could then make out the transition from one wood to the other. Very nice touch. And that inlay! It looks like an exotic heat source specially designed to make the butter fly.

13 Likes

This is a beautiful knife.

12 Likes

Your inlay is outstanding. Such a beautiful knife!

11 Likes

I thought about making it higher contrast, I have all kinds of veneers and hardwoods…. But since it’s designed to be in my food I figured it’s best to keep it simpler so I can tell if it’s clean. I suspect I’ll be making some more as gifts this year; I might go a little bolder on those just to make an entrance.

If you look carefully at the side of the handle you can see the layers there, too. Veneers are thin (usually around 1/42") so you have to squint a bit. A much bolder version of this effect was with 1/8" and 1/16" woods in the handle of one of my sword projects:

10 Likes

That cherry is so beautifully integrated… Nice!

10 Likes

The inlay makes it!

11 Likes

Absolutely love it, thanks for the nod :slight_smile: Love the inlay and the ply… my shipment from ocooch came in the other day, so I’m going to have to make a new batch.

8 Likes

Yeah, there is a nice flow of grain between the two woods.

@gvarosky Looking forward to seeing what you make!

9 Likes

Nice work, I especially like the grain orientation in that inlay, radiating outward from the center.

12 Likes

Ah, someone noticed! I intentionally cut all the petals in the same grain orientation to get that effect. The chatoyancy of padauk makes the petals “shine” sequentially as you turn the handle in the light.

It’s the little things, I guess. I did that just for me, but it’s nice that you caught it :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Looks great. But I have questions. How well are they sealed? How well do they clean? How do you make sure it is “food grade”? Dishwasher safe? Is taste affected? Will I get a sliver in my tongue from my toast? Inquiring minds want to know.

9 Likes

Me too!

• How well are they sealed?
    3 coats of satin polyurethane. I applied it by submerging the entire piece for a few seconds, then wiping off excess. So I’d say “pretty well”.
  • How well do they clean?
    We’re gonna find out!
  • How do you make sure it is “food grade”?
    The googles said that polyurethane and titebond III are both food safe when fully cured.
    I’m a trusting sort, so I went with it. I almost sealed with mineral oil, but decided I didn’t want the maintenance of an oil finish, nor do I like the feel of them for things like salad tongs… so it was poly city.
  • Dishwasher safe?
    If you put this little beauty in a dishwasher, you get what you deserve.
  • Is taste affected?
    Dunno, it’s not fully cured yet!
  • Will I get a sliver in my tongue from my toast?
    I suppose it depends on how aggressively you lick your butter knife and how rough your tongue is… are you a feral cat or perhaps a penguin?
    … Inquiring minds want to know. :slight_smile:
16 Likes

Neat project, maybe I will make a fork. Or a spork. Always thought a spork was sort of a fusion type of inspiration.

9 Likes

It’s such a sweet detail, instantly caught my eye, and I realized it had to be intentional.

Those set the work apart. :star_struck:

8 Likes

This is wonderful. I can see sets of woodware in my future.

7 Likes

This is beautiful. Great inlay work!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @cokley1941.
As you have discovered, this is an active community where we share our creations to inspire each other.
We look forward to see what you you create!

10 Likes

Today I learned a new word: Chatoyancy. Thanks @evansd2 for contributing for my continued education!

13 Likes