Another disappointing email!

I figured that was more creative than just telling you that common sense would tell you that children read this forum. Now I just wonder why they call it “common” sense.

As an Australian i feel this is personally directed at us .
A non-swearing rule eliminates ~40% of my vocabulary.

It is racist i tell you… racist

26 Likes

Lol, how do you think I feel being a former submarine sailor?
Sure I can weave sesquipedalians in and out of my posts but curse words are like sentence enhancers to me.

7 Likes

Most of us here think Aussie swearing is endearing. We just think it’s the way you talk.

German swearing on the other hand…well that’s just the way they speak normally, they make kind words sound vulgar.

1 Like

IGermans should never curse as they make “I love you” sound terrifing. Cursing sounds like Cthulhu speaking! :smiley:

First morning i walked down to have breakfast with my (then) girlfriends family i had to stop at the door and wait… they were having a MASSIVE argument…
… i thought…
Nope, they were just saying good morning and catching up!

Honestly love North Germany and would move back there any time but until you get the flow of things it can be really confronting… especially since i went there straight from Japan where everything is smooth, sorted and calmed to the point of medicated

3 Likes

The course this thread has ran, I’m sad that I’m out of likes.

2 Likes

Non-swearing is a type of virtue signaling. It simply means we have agreed to curb our emotional and/or automatic speech and play by agreed upon speech rules. It’s a game. You play the game by the rules or you get kicked off the field. It’s how folks learn to communicate effectively and signal that we are willing to play within the boundaries.

Obviously the delay brings up a boundary situation. People’s speech will test those boundaries.

5 Likes

The first use of the F-word is a in a poem from… The 1500s (that’s probably wrong, but I can’t be bothered to look it up), about friars or monks or priests or whatever not going to heaven because they’re f-wording the locals.

And what’s interesting is it was a vulgarity even in middle English poetry. Usually swear words aren’t always swear words, and they change over time. Like, belly used to be a bad word, but now we teach it to little kids as a cute word for stomach. Not the F-word. The F-word was always a bad word. Well, as far as we know. Maybe it was a polite word prior to the 1500s, but nobody thought to write it down…

None of this is relevant. Except that it’s swear words, and who doesn’t love learning about swear words?

5 Likes

It has been 2 years.

The only way we’ll know if children are reading the forum or not is to wait for one of them to become an adult and then sign an affidavit declaring that they did, in fact, read the forum before reaching adulthood. Until then, all this is just speculation.

2 Likes

There is a lot of ground between certified and “just speculation”, we’ve been told by several people that their kids read the forum. Unless there is a good reason to doubt each person claiming this I’d say it is well beyond speculation.

But anyone can just come on and claim anything they want.

“Dinosaurs read this forum.”

See? Until proof is provided, any reports of children reading the forum should be taken with a grain of salt.

1 Like

It seems you see things in black and white when there are lots of shades of grey. Yes, I always figure I don’t really know the sex or age of anyone I am talking to on the interwebs unless I know them in 3d but for the sake of sanity you have to evaluate what is to be gained by lying about this or that. If you assume that people just randomly lie there is nothing to gain here or on any interweb.

I’m just trying to fit in with the cool kids and declaring that stuff is only speculation is trending right now.

Oh no, did I miss the boat? Are we being sane and realistic now?

By kids, I mean baby goats, not human children.

2 Likes

Sorry I missed that, carry on.

Edit: it is not like me to miss subtle sarcasm. Think I need to get off the webs for the night.

3 Likes

Quite right too! :wink:

1 Like

It’s true - Some even post here!

5 Likes

Since @Tom_A’s son has actually posted here with his own account, I’m thinking he probably reads it too.

8 Likes

Of course children read this forum. Mine do. Others do. It’s strange anybody would think a forum about a product geared towards families wouldn’t have children and those children wouldn’t read the forum. Then again, I guess it’s the same who, when they can’t make any reasonable point, think that if they swear a lot it somehow validates their point. Makes me laugh.

2 Likes