Another Family Crest

Well, not EXACTLY a family crest. This time I took part of my mother’s family crest and put it into my design. I wanted to make a gift for my uncle for his new house. I suppose I could’ve done the entire crest…but it’s so busy that it didn’t fit what i wanted.

I used a mirror acrylic for the base, and black acrylic for the top. It’s all cut, no engraving. I didn’t take pictures of the back before wrapping it up to ship, but i made it like a picture holder to rest on a nail or screw in the wall.

I used the passthrough for this as it’s about 18x18 inches. I used Weld-on 4 to adhere the pieces together, which was both bad and good.

The good was that it fused quickly with no clean up. The bad was that the applicator dripped a couple times in random locations on the mirror layer, and though i didn’t touch it and let it evaporate, it left imperfections on the surface, like a water mark that will never come off. :sob: and I know that if i tried sanding and clear coating it, I’ll do more harm than good, so i left it and hope no one pays as much attention to my work as I do.

It’s also so hard to photograph a mirror. So please excuse the reflected mess.

Low resolution family crest for reference:

44 Likes

Oh, that’s just gorgeous. He’ll be thrilled!

9 Likes

Thanks, took my mother two days to notice it was a fan :rofl::rofl: thinking of submitting a version to the catalog without the fan being taken over by the crest.

11 Likes

It looks great!

9 Likes

Love it!

9 Likes

This is spectacular! Wonderful housewarming gift!

7 Likes

Sharp!

5 Likes

Very nice job!

5 Likes

I doubt anyone is going to look that closely at it to see the mars in it. They’re just going to see a beautiful mirror with part of the family crest on it. I’m sure both Mom and Uncle will love it!

3 Likes

Turned out great

2 Likes

I love it. I’ve told my wife that if I believed in reincarnation, I would have been Japanese in my previous life.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl: and did she give you the side eye? My mother’s family is from Korea. She part of the Pungyang Jo clan.

3 Likes

I like Korean culture too (have some cousins) but I could have swore you told us you were of Japanese heritage. (my bad) One of my best friends (and college roommate) mother was from Japan. His uncle was Senator Daniel Inouye from Hawaii. I spent several months touring Japan when I was younger.

3 Likes

My husband’s Japanese, born and raised. All my in-laws are there. The last family crest i made was for his aunt :rofl:

4 Likes

That must be where I got that then. I hope I didn’t seem disrespectful.

2 Likes

Not at all. I was chuckling to myself, but that was before I just realized I confused you for someone else :rofl: :sweat_smile: There is another forum member whose wife is Korean and I mixed you up.

There’s been a lot of talk among my family after I made this. My mother wants one, but I want to make it with my grandmother’s family crest instead. I was just looking at it…so much cooler…

7 Likes

That is great! We are a colgate family.

2 Likes

Honestly, we’re crest. I prefer crest whitening, even though I’m pretty sure they all have the same amount of active ingredients…i just like the sparkly blue packaging.

3 Likes

I just switched to some japanese nano hydroxyapatite toothpaste.

2 Likes

I’ll need to look into it. My husband and daughter have sensitive teeth. The regular toothpaste they sell here makes them uncomfortable.

1 Like