Another frame

Found this piece of hickory and had to make a frame out of it. Dimensions of each rail meant I couldn’t forge it, so let’s add some embellishments! Pine’s were forged out of 1/8" walnut. I like how the bottom rail had a grain that looked like terrain so the trees look like they’re in the ground. Still needs a few more coats of poly, but couldn’t help sharing.

Goes to my Ranger Doug National Park print series.

56 Likes

Really nice job with the woodgrain. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Love how the trees grow out of the woodgrain!

7 Likes

Really nice!

I am thinking that that knot needs a bear or dragon or hobbit in it?

6 Likes

It does look like a hobbit hole. I wish I could have gotten 3/4 material through the slot, I totally would have engraved something.

3 Likes

How long is the piece? At 3/4" thick you need it to be without the crumb tray anyway a just a guestimate but it looks about the same length as the tree. Or something more like this?

(Linked directly from his photo not copied)

4 Likes

Sides are 21", top / bottom are at 21 1/2". I suppose I could have removed the crumb tray and done it - never thought about that!

Honestly what I would have done if so was engrave as deep as possible the tree so I could embed the walnut into the hickory and sand flush once glued. But couldn’t do that as I’d have needed the frame put together to see exactly where the tree went.

And I’d be interested to see how the hickory would engrave. I’ve got some scraps left over, I’ll try etching later to see. I bet the smell will be amazing! (LOVE the smell of walnut when it’s cutting).

1 Like

Excellent choice! Wonderful grain and a fabulous choice for a frame.

2 Likes

I was trying to get an engrave to go the full 20 inches when of course the curtains prevented that, so I rotated the design 30-degrees and got longer by 3.3 to 23.3" but in that case you would only be doing a bit of the middle.

1 Like

Awesome. I have never found a piece of hickory as you did, and if I did it would not have ended up as a beautiful frame. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

That is a beautiful frame, especially with the trees on the sides. :grinning:

3 Likes

A truly gorgeous frame!

2 Likes

Thanks all - here’s the finished pic with the print in it.

10 Likes

That frame is perfect for that print.

4 Likes

Perfect match of media to materials! Wow!

4 Likes

I love it. Really does look like a trail using the wood grain

2 Likes

And this is why I spend so much time in the wood aisle looking at pieces that no one would consider. I have a piece of Oak I’m studying right now the best possible way to get a cool frame out of it with the varying knots and grain I found.

Of course then I’m thinking how can I embellish it for the next print (Zion Canyon) and I’m thinking rocks / rock structures / something like that out of walnut. Which is the fun / design part - how to embellish.

then I’ve GOT to make some tabbed boxes for the shop. I’m going to use Dan’s serrated design so no glue (I’m excited!).

3 Likes

It does give it perspective, doesn’t it? Very cool effect! :sunglasses:

2 Likes