Another headphone stand

Since this COVID thing started, I now have my home-headsets paired to my gaming machine and my work-headsets paired to my work laptop, and they’re both on my desk, and my desk looks cluttered. I realize this is kind of a “first world problem”, but all the same, I decided to laser a solution:

I started out using one of these pin gauges to measure the curve of the back of the monitor:

Then I transferred this to a sheet of paper, scanned it, and pasted it as a “canvas” in Fusion 360. It’s not perfect, because of course the monitor is curved on two axes, but it’s close enough.

30 Likes

Very nice practical cut. Nice to hear from you again.

3 Likes

Nice trick with the pin gauge.

3 Likes

Excellent thinking!

2 Likes

I was going to say what the other Evans said. I’m going to have to break down and buy a pin guage one day.

1 Like

Good to be back. :slight_smile: It has been way too long since I’ve gotten a chance to laser cut something.

I’ve been spending time working on a set of shelves, which have to fit in a sort of odd shaped space, boxed on on one side by a wall that sticks out, and on the other by a column that has a chimney inside, so I came up with this idea to have shallow shelves on one side, deep shelves on the other, and then a “not rectangular” shelf in the middle:

But there’s practically no lasers involved at all, so it’s pretty slow going. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Now you can never move.

2 Likes

Well it’s a beautiful built-in. I love built-ins.

2 Likes

Forgive my lack of knowledge here. I have never seen something like this — is that what the purpose of the item is initially to be used for? Are there different types/measurements/construction? How do you transfer it to paper — lay it down and draw around it?

Being around so many people that do 3D modeling for 3D printers, I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone use something like that over the years.

I bought this one at Home Depot. Generally you use one of these when you’re doing something like this:

On the right hand side is my fireplace (sorry for the poor quality photo, this is kind of in a dark corner behind a bookcase). When I installed that baseboard, I had to cut it to match the irregular shape of the stone on the fireplace. I think I bought my pin gauge (sometimes called a “profile gauge”) when I did this exact baseboard, actually. :slight_smile: And yes, to transfer it to a sheet of paper I just laid it flat on a sheet of paper and traced the edge. I also made two marks on the sheet that were exactly 1" apart, so I could make sure I had the scale correct when I brought it into Fusion 360.

I used a similar trick to get the “curve” to match my headphones. I put my headphones down on a sheet of paper, traced the headband, then I got a ruler and drew a 3" cord along the base of the curve. I measured up from that line and found the peak of the curve was 0.5" above it. So in Fusion 360 I created a “3 point curve” with the ends 3" apart and the middle 0.5" up, and I got something that matches my headsets exactly:

5 Likes

What an elegant and practical solution! A great way to clear the visual clutter.

With that post, I learned quite a bit and it should help me with drawing things up as well (my weakness). I have seen baseboards that followed something irregular and had thought to myself about ‘wow they are good at matching those up’…now I know how. :slight_smile: Going to save the post for future reference. Thanks … and that reminds me I need to put a headphone stand on my list since I am using mine daily while I am WFH. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

2 Likes