Another interesting use for the glowforge

I’ve been using the glowforge to cut out some master templates for other woodworking projects. I’m doing this one as a guide for carving out a snowman on the Wood lathe.

38 Likes

Lathes are cool. Would love to see one of the finished, turned snowmen!

5 Likes

I have seen similar tools/templates created with the :glowforge:, but I think this is the first I have seen for a lathe!

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see it! That is such a neat idea.

OK people, talk me down from the ledge…I don’t even have room for a lathe, much less know how to use one.

5 Likes

It’s true! the laser is sovereign for cutting or marking guides or templates! Great idea. :sunglasses:

Lathes throw sawdust everywhere not only do you need room for it, but you need room to build a room to contain the detritus.

9 Likes

Whew, thanks!

3 Likes

A few stepper motors and some software, you could cut out (pun) the middleman and go from CAD direct to the Lathe…

1 Like

Although a good shopvac and collection system would lessen that problem. :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

First off there’s nothing better than being covered with sawdust from head to toe… hahah. And I have a good dust collection system and clean up after every project.

11 Likes

That’s an impressive shop, there. I have a lot of admiration for people who have cool tools and take such good care of them.

I lack the ‘clean’ gene; for me, a shop as tidy as yours exists only in my dreams.

5 Likes

Or for as long as it takes to go from initial setup to first project. I’m same way.

1 Like